View Single Post
Old 08-10-2009, 12:55 AM   #1
Digerati
(male)

Digerati HB User
Acid Reflux & Sinus symptoms - What's cause and what's effect?

So, I've had symptoms of both the sinus and acid reflux variants for about 3 and a half years. First came the post-nasal drip, then brain fog, headaches and then a chronic cough and wheeziness. All presented within the first year in that order. I didn't have heartburn until just the last 6 months, and it's lasted for weeks at a time.

My sinuses are structurally fine and allergies don't seem to be the culprit. I get occasional sinus infections but they seem to be sparked by some underlying cause.

I've also had accelerated dental decay and my dentist reported that I had a higher acidity level in my mouth then usual.

I know that LPR can present without heartburn, but my acid reflux symptoms have been fairly mild other than that. No vomiting or anything to make me suspect that the acid is coming up very high.

So, I'm trying to figure out if my reflux is the originating cause which has in turn sparked the sinus troubles, or if the constant post-nasal drip for the last few years has actually caused the acid reflux. My symptoms, while pretty much constant, are actually more mild in the morning and seem to worsen when my stomach is empty (in the evening before dinner/etc). Not really the usual presentation...

Also, I did a test involving baking soda and water to test my acidity level - the result (3 times) pointed to my having too LITTLE acid.

I've tried to summarize this whole saga for the last few years and probably left things out, but any commentary/advice/etc is VERY welcome. I'm only 25 now and have racked up a pretty good debt in just trying to diagnose my symptoms to no avail. Everything, including one endoscopy, was normal.

Thanks!

Joel T

Sponsors Lightbulb