View Single Post
Old 10-23-2009, 01:29 PM   #20
esorb11
(male)

esorb11 HB User
Re: Recurring Staph Infection

So I've been battling this same thing for quite some time and very recently found a decent doctor who appears as though she might actually know what the hell she's talking about (please excuse the pessimism but I've lost a considerable amount of faith in the medical community since dealing with this - the ability to respond to and treat this disease is, simply put, pathetic).

My PCP diagnosed my staph as normal Staph Aureus. However, the dermatologist that i recently went to took one look at the culture results (many cultures from many different areas where these enormous "pimples" have popped up), and immediately diagnosed it as MRSA?!?! Why the hell my PCP (who is now no longer my PCP) did not pick up on this is unbelievable to me! No telling how much time and money I've spent going down the wrong path!

Anyway, this new doctor (a dermatologist) prescribed another wash (10% Benzoyl Peroxide wash), which I was obviously skeptical about after all I have been through with this, but I decided to give it a shot. I have had one minor outbreak since beginning this new treatment but overall this wash has kept things under control much better than I expected. Another good thing (unlike Hibiclens - sp) is that the staph cannot adapt and become resistant to the Benzoyl Peroxide (this according to my dermatologist).

I'm not sure if this will work for others too but it has worked very well for me (I've been using it for about 3 months now with no major outbreaks - only 1 small sore and that was right after I started using it). I've been through the constant anti-biotics, soaps, etc. and this is the only thing I've found that works. Normally, i believe they use this type of wash for acne but also appears to do well to keep MRSA outbreaks under control.

Hopefully this helps.

-Bryan