View Single Post
Old 01-05-2010, 05:56 PM   #6
SpineAZ
Senior Veteran
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
Re: Need Advice on Artificial Disc Replacement,, Do I or Dont I?

I agree that you need a second and possibly third opinion. Maybe see another Neurosurgeon and then an Orthopedic Spine Surgeon. I agree that your doctor, from what you've said, is pushing for the ADR. If he is he has to be willing to sit down with you and create a long term treatment plan for what he sees now and what could happen at those other levels later. If he wont then he's not looking at the whole picture. When I met with my OSS prior to my ACDF he said that since I had other cervical levels that were likely to need stabilization surgically later that meant I was not a candidate for ADR. He didn't want to do the ADR and possibly need to go back in years later and remove it due to problems above and below it.

Also, contact your insurance company and be sure ADR is covered. There are many insurance plans that don't cover ADR (regardless of age). If that's the case then you wouldn't even have to decide if it was best for you as it would not be an option.

Personally I had the ACDF with success and would not have wanted to pursue an ADR.