View Single Post
Old 03-30-2010, 07:17 PM   #76
rosebloom
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User
Re: Getting off PPI's and acid rebound

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksc1968 View Post
Im just starting this journey, Im only 4 days in and so far so good. The first 2 days I did have some burning, like a hunger feeling. I was about to try to take Kapidex, as my prevacid hasnt been working, but spoke with my dr again over the phone when insurance wouldnt cover the Kapidex, and he said my problem could be related to low acid (he says he cant say it is or it isnt without trying, and the PPI has never completely taken away my problem, so he says he just doesnt know 100%), and lets step me down from 30mg to 15, 5, etc. To get to the 5mg dose I will be dumping 2/3 of the prevacid out of the capsule (very informal),
I have also added absorbaid with lunch and dinner, so I dont know if its helping or not yet, too soon to tell. I am very hopeful and kind of excited for this journey as I cant wait to find out if I can be free of this expensive habit! THere is some insecurity involved that at the first attack I will want to jump back on the PPI, but I have to at least give it a chance. Maybe all of my other problems are perhaps PPI side effects.
Good luck to anyone else while on this journey!
God Bless
It sounds like you are going at it the right way by slowly reducing the PPI. Then, if your doctor agrees, you can switch to a less potent H2 blocker for a while and eventually wean yourself off the acid suppressing medicines altogether, which now your doctor is not even sure you need.

Good luck to you and please keep us posted. I would love to hear how others are doing and if they have been successful and getting off PPI's.

It is my intention to stay off PPI's, but my goal is to stay off at least three months and re-evaluate about my quality of life without them to see what the trade off is.

At least, I want to be able to find out what is rebound and what is my disease.

Rose

Sponsors Lightbulb