View Single Post
Old 04-02-2010, 12:45 PM   #80
seebrown
(female)

seebrown HB User
Re: Getting off PPI's and acid rebound

Hi, everyone, I just found this thread, and I can't believe I didn't realize what I was putting in my body for the last few years. I was diagnosed with acid reflux 5 years ago, and was put on ranitidine (Zantac) for a month. After the month was up, my symptoms returned. I was prescribed with another month (higher dose) with the doctor suggesting I move to omeprazole (Prilosec) if the ranitidine didn't work. The ranitidine didn't work again, but i continued to take it and stopped going to the doctor since she had mentioned the drug was OTC, and I could self-prescribe.

About 2 years ago, I switched to omeprazole when it started being available OTC because I'd had to continue to increase my ranitidine dosage while also taking Tums every few days. I've now been taking omeprazole for 2 years without supplementing calcium!!!

I do no eat fatty/acidy foods and am a healthy eater, but I do drink coffee daily. I started looking online for alternate treatments because my acid reflux seems to be worsening lately. I wasn't sure what could be causing the increased acid, but I don't like taking omeprazole anyway because I feel like the food I eat sits in my stomach without being digested fully.

I am in my early 30s, and I realize I need to find an alternative to the omeprazole, but, like everyone else who has posted, everything else I have tried has been without success (ranitidine not being strong enough even with healthy eating). I actually recently had a spinal x-ray at the chiropractor due to some back pain, and the chiro said I had phase 1 spinal decay and this usually doesn't show up in someone as young as I am. I'm wondering now if it's the omeprazole!

Has anyone tried an alkaline diet < edited >? Does anyone have any advice for how I could start weaning myself off of omeprazole? I think I'm going to buy Aloe Vera juice and DGL tablets and start eating alkaline, but should I just go cold turkey with the omeprazole - maybe switch it to a high dose of ranitidine (I tried making this switch last year with no success, felt nauseated all the time and had a lot of acid reflux)?

Last edited by hb-mod; 04-02-2010 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Please do not post disallowed Internet websites, per Posting Policy. Thanks!