Old 06-01-2010, 11:03 AM   #4
begonia
(female)

begonia HB User
Re: Down syndrome and loose stool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondoblue View Post
Hi
I have a 3 year old daughter with Down Syndrome. She has never had a solid bowel movement. It's not exactly diahrrhea but it's always mushy. Sometimes she has violent explosions. She has no pain at all. She also has a great appetite and eats very well. She sleeps 10 hours a night and takes a nap. She looks to be the picture of health except for this problem. The doctor has done lab work and can't find anything. Does anyone have any ideas? I hear that some kids with DS may not be potty trained by 6 or 7.
I can't imagine her going to school with this problem.
Thanks
Diane
Hi Diane,
My son with Down syndrome was also born with Hirschsprungs disease. While I AM NOT saying that your daughter has this congenital defect it is something that you can ask about. Hirschsprungs is when some of the nerve cells in your intestines are missing. The larger the segment of "diseased intestine" the more symptoms and problems. I would document how many BM's your daughter has a day. Are the violent explosions occurring after going a day or 2 without a BM? My son did have pain because he got impacted. He was treated for the disorder & is fine now. He is 20. We figured out that he had the disease when he was 6 months old. I know of another individual who had the disease and managed it with meds. I am sharing this as an FYI. Please try not to worry. Many kids with down syndrome have low motility in their bowels and need to take a fiber supplement. What kinds of foods are you having your daughter eat? If you can get her to eat weebatex (sp)? cereal since it is high in fiber -good. Talk about your concerns with your pediatrician. When I brought the Hirschsprungs possibility up my pediatrician he really didn't think it could be....... the disorder is that rare. I do not know what state you live in . I live in NY and we had an aid who helped my son w/ toileting in school. Good luck. I know how tiring the toilet training stage is for parents.