View Single Post
Old 07-07-2010, 04:47 PM   #3
jennybyc
Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Discectomy two weeks ago... Well?

Although I am cervical I know I am eventually facing a lumbar surgery too but I know that pain. I've had 2 cervical(C3to C6 laminoplasty with C7 decompression and then a C3 to T1 fusion when the laminoplasty didn't work) and now I'm facing #3 for more cord compression and nerve compression. But I've learned a couple of valuable things.....

1- the spine is slow to forgive. The longer the nerves were compressed, the longer it takes for them to stop hurting.

2- spine surgery takes a long time to really recovery from. Give it 1-2 years....honestly.

3- the normal course is very up and down and to be expected. Those who have smooth recoveries aren't the norm.

Give it time. It took how many years to get this fixed? So why shouldn't it take years to get it healed too?

You'll get there. Heck, I had no use of my arm until 9 months post-op and now at 3 1/2 years post-op I can pick up my 2 1/2 year old granddaughter.

Takes time and work.

good luck..............Jenny