View Single Post
Old 08-05-2010, 03:53 PM   #2
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 86
frankieswife HB Userfrankieswife HB User
Re: First doctor visit

Generally a woman should go to the gyno for a pelvic exam when she becomes sexually active or when she turns 18, whichever comes first. I don't think a doctor can require you to do so, but it is just a healthy recommendation he/she may make. During a pelvic exam the doctor will take a pap smear, which is used to test for cervical cancer, infection or abnormal cervical cells. So you don't necessarily have to be sexually active to get this exam. I would say it may be a little more uncomfortable if you are a virgin, due to the fact that your vagina is tighter. However, the pelvic exam is a very quick thing and good to ensure your overall health as a woman.