View Single Post
Old 05-09-2002, 05:15 PM   #1
lmotivans
Inactive

lmotivans HB User
C5, C6, C7 Fusion

Last Oct 2001, I woke up with a neck ache, shooting pains down my left arm and my left 3 fingers were numb. Had a MRI and it showed I had a herniated disk at C5/C6 and one at C6/C7. All non-surgical treatments failed and I was still in pain. On April 23,2002, I had Anterior Cervical Discectomy at the Florida Hospital in Orlando Florida. The Neurosurgen went in thru the front of the neck, removed the 2 herniated disks, inserted bone grafts from a bone bank and fused C5, C6 and C7 with a titanium plate and 6 screws. I was in the hospital one night and released the following day.

Two days later, I was up and walking. I was on a pain relievers and muscle relaxants for about 12 days. Most of the pain is gone and I went back to work on May 9th on a part time basis. The numbness in my fingers is slowly going away, the Dr said it would be a few months before the imflamation around the nerve roots subsides.

I only wore the soft cervical colar while I was in the hospital. Now I wear it when I drive or ride in a car.

I am very pleased with the results. The incision is about 2 inches just below my adams apples and is barely noticeable. In 5 weeks I get Xrays takens to see how the bones are fusing. Until then I will take it easy and follow the Dr orders. I'm not allowed to lift more than 20 lbs, push, pull, reach above the head and no excessive bending.

I was very nervous having the operation after reading some of the messages posted on this board. I thought I would provide some positive feedback. If you would like , I will answer any questions.

Leo

[..as per the board guidelines, messages may not
offer personal contact information. Do not post emails.
All discussions must be on the forums.]<p>[This message has been edited by moderator2 (edited 05-11-2002).]

Sponsors Lightbulb