View Single Post
Old 01-20-2011, 01:44 PM   #1
Jerseyman
(male)

Jerseyman HB User
Dad addicted to Nyquil

My dad broke his nose when he was young. I've never asked him how old he was when it happened. Ironically, he told me when I was in the hospital with a broken nose. I wasn't in any condition to carry on a conversation, so that's as far as I know. I'm currently 21. When I was around 10, I started to notice my dad taking Nyquil now and again. I remember one time in the car with him he took a swig straight from the bottle. I remember asking him why he didn't use the measuring cup; to which he said something to the effect of: "I've taken it enough to measure it in my mouth." Throughout the years I continued to see him use Nyquil. I would see empty bottles in his car and his room. I'm concerned that he doesn't understand the effects Acetaminophen has on the liver. He's developed skin cancer, which may be related, but I'm not sure. He thinks Nyquil is some kind of miracle drug. I fear that what may have started as a genuine relief from the pain of his broken nose and his damaged sinuses has now become a hopeless addiction

What makes this situation particularly strange is that my dad is a strict authoritarian. He was military police when he was younger and is very strict when it comes to the law. I think he's deluded himself into thinking that he's not abusing a drug, because it's legal and is supposed to be medicine. It's ultimatetly very sad. I can see the effects it is having on his mind. When I was young he was always uncontrollably angry. It is the reason my parents split up. As time has gone on, his anger has become more and more irrational and hypocritical. My sister claims he is even showing symtoms similiar to Alzhiemers. For example, last month he said "say hello to your grandmother for me," when she had died 8 months prior.

Has anybody heard of something like this? I wish he would just use a less damaging drug like Marijuana or something, which I use, but he's in this crazy denial about the legality of what he is doing. If I suggest that he start using Marijuana instead, he would probably reprimand me about smoking pot for 20 minutes. What should I do. I want to confront him about it, but given the obsticals, I have found it impossible.

Sponsors Lightbulb