View Single Post
Old 04-24-2012, 07:41 AM   #7
SadComputerGuy
(male)

SadComputerGuy HB UserSadComputerGuy HB UserSadComputerGuy HB UserSadComputerGuy HB UserSadComputerGuy HB User
Re: Dad addicted to Nyquil

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiisane View Post
Wow. I am apalled over what I am hearing. Obviously addiction is not understood by some people. Nyquil has alcohol in it (hello!), very addicting. My mom used to be addicted to it. She is not an addict, so she was able to stop (not sure if she suffered withdrawal). However, I am an addict/alcoholic. I know how our brains work! A person can get addicted to anything, even marijuana. If something gets you out of yourself, and you continue to use it for that reason (or because you like the feeling of not feeling normal), there's an issue. I know it's sad to see your dad like that; my dad has the same issue with alcohol. He is stubborn and is in denial as well. All you can do is tell him how you feel (with out bringing up any substances he can replace it with; if he has an addictive personality, he may be addicted to 2 things). Write him a letter, that's what I did. He can ponder on it and think about what you are saying. If he comes back with excuses, denial, gets defensive, or thinks he doesn't have an issue..most likely he does. It is not normal to chug any medication. Just listen to him, do not argue. It won't get anywhere, trust me.
Yes I think we have all forgotten that Nyquil does have 10% alcohol in it, which is more than a normal beer in alcohol strength, but I don't quite understand why you are appalled at what people are saying here. Addiction ISN"T widely understood even by people who are addicts. And the only thing I have read is people trying to help out another person. I think maybe one person has said that Nyquil isn't addicting and yes we all forgot that alcohol is an active ingredient in normal Nyquil, but I don't think that is a reason to be appalled. That is how we learn by sharing our own experiences and thoughts, and none of us ever claim to be medical doctors.

The Following User Says Thank You to SadComputerGuy For This Useful Post:
katlin09 (04-24-2012)