View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #7
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 39
RBK1111 HB User
Re: Rising PSA, need guidance on next move

Originally Posted by Pratoman View Post
Went to Urologist today, PSA continues to rise - facts and numbers as follows:

Age - just turned 62
Father had Prostate Cancer

PSA Levels:
2009 - .7
2010 - 1.1
2011 - did not take
April 2012 - 1.7 (or 1.6, not clear)
Nov 2012 - 2.2

Got the 2.2 results today. Doc did digital rectal exam, prostate felt normal.

Gave me choice - biopsy now, or wait 3 months. Told me, while you can never be sure, he feels 3 months wait would not present any real risks. I asked what he would do if it was him - he said he would do the biopsy, and he has, in a similar situation. Said the threshold at my age is 3.5, but rising level, with family history is cause for concern.

I told the doc i would come back in three months for retake but i dont know if i am doing the right thing
I am in NY area, i hear Columbia Presbyterian has high reputation docs for this. Should i
1. do the biopsy
2. wait
3. get a second opinion immediately

Also, do any docs put you to sleep for the biopsy? I've heard it is pretty painful.
Very nervous, any guidance would be really appreciated.
Yor PSA has more than doubled. The number is less important than the trajectory. When it comes to prostate cancer, it is always better to know than wonder. Get biopsies. The downside is a sligh risk of infection, minimal discomfort, and the upside is knowing. If there is a positive finding than send to a specialized laboratory like Bostwick Laboratories. After results then decide. Urologists have limited understanding of this area and if by misfortune you have PCA, you will need to read a great deal and understand there are many courses of action, including as I chose nothing ore than Watchful Waiting or Active Surveillance. Best

The Following User Says Thank You to RBK1111 For This Useful Post:
User483 (11-11-2012)