View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 07:28 AM   #1
lginfl
(female)

lginfl HB Userlginfl HB User
CSF leak? MRI & Dr.still no clear answers

Hello Fellow Leakers, I'm sure there are a number of you out there that may be able to shed some light on an ongoing problem I've had.
Long story short:
Had a pain pump implanted in '06-developed a CSF leak. After 3 blood patches & one year of leaking, I had it repaired (and a L4-5 fusion).
Last month I had the pain pump removed. Developed a large amount of fluid in my back & when I went to get my staples removed my neurosurgeon drained it out. Within one hour the fluid came back.
Next day, I went into surgery to fix the leak (Dr's surgical notes said it was a puncture)
My PM Dr. ordered an MRI with/without contrast. Here's what it reads:
There is a 4.1X6.7X0.8 cm fluid collection w/in the soft tissues dorsal to the L3 level. A 7mm focus demonstrating fluid signal intensity is seen within the epidural space dorsally at L2-L3 level. (that's where the pain pump catheter was at) While no definite communication with the aforementioned soft tissue fluid collection is appreciated, a track does extend from the superficial collection toward the spinal canal, suggesting the sequela of CSF leak and/or post surgical seroma.
Impression states the opposite: No direct intrathecal is appreciated as detailed above.
Is it me or does this MRI contradict itself??? Sent films to my neurosurgeon, he responded with "It could still be a leak-it could heal itself & suggested a blood patch. (which I had previously asked him about-he said they don't work!
I still have fluid at the site of the incision and it spreads over to the right side of my back, pressing on the sciatic nerve. Still not able to walk much. AND, I don't have headaches-and did NOT have headaches even before the second surgery (the puncture) I guess you could say I'm not a "normal CSF leaker"!!!! Any insight greatly appreciated!!!!

The following user gives a hug of support to lginfl:
gmak (11-27-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb