View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington
Posts: 2
Seasky HB User
Should I seek an endocrinologist?

My apologies for reposting this-I originally posted on the general health board and know this would be a better board:


I'm writing to ask for help in whether I should see an endocrinologist. I am a female in my lower 40s, history of depression, have difficulty with fatigue, brain fog, and intolerance to cold, mild muscle cramps in my legs (almost restless due to discomfort it causes). I have a strong family history of hypothyroidism on my dad's side: he, his sisters, and mother all diagnosed.

Almost three weeks ago I started having heart palpitations-never experienced them before. My primary care doc did an EKG and labs for hematocrit and TSH, and ordered a holter monitor.

The hematocrit was 42 and TSH was 3.63. EKG was normal. I have not received the holter monitor results yet-hopefully early this coming week. My TSH levels were ~ 1.31 in 2011 and 1.28 in 2009.

This is not related, but have had plantar fasciitis for more than a year, so I am moving less than I would be...which of course can affect mood, weight, etc. I have done all of the recommended treatments for that without any sustained relief. If I go for a good walk, I pay the price later.

If my holter monitor test result is normal, and I am told that the palpitations are due to stress (I have basically weaned off of my moderate caffeine intake since they started, with no change in the frequency of palpitations), should I consider following up with an endocrinologist? I understand there is debate about what the normal range for TSH should be. I do have a normal amount of stress-parenting four kids, part-time job, etc, but nothing extraordinary.

Would appreciate your feedback/advice. Thanks very much!


Sponsors Lightbulb