View Single Post
Old 10-06-2013, 09:39 AM   #3
Isaiah1
(female)

Isaiah1 HB User
Re: Mastoiditis or Cholesteatoma

Firs of all, it sounds like you are in panic mode. Don't be. Both situations arg fixable. I have had both of the conditions you asked about. In 1995, I had a tympanoplasty and mastoidectomy. Because of years of ear infections, the bones in my middle ear were in vey bad shape. My hearing had suffered. To correct this, I had surgery to remove a cholesteatoma. At the same time, the surgeon removed infected air pockets in the mastoid. After this, the surgeon repaired my eardrum. While he was doing the surgery, he also placed a TORP (Total Ossicular Replacement) prosthesis in my ear to help correct the hearing loss. The surgery is done in an outpatient surgery center, and you go home the same day with a dressing over the ear. You can remove the dressing the next day, but you will need time to recuperate (as with any surgery). I did great for 17 years. In 2012, I got a bad ear infection with effusion, and my hearing went way down in the affected ear. I had surgery again. This time, the surgeon replaced the TORP with a titanium version. My hearing improved dramatically. There was no cholesteatoma, and the mastoid bone was in good shape. My recovery took a little longer this time (getting older stinks). ;-). Long story short, the problem is fixable. Go to a good ENT for evaluation, and he/she will determine what needs to be done.