View Single Post
Old 03-12-2014, 08:06 AM   #2
Lionor
(male)

Lionor HB User
Re: C4-5 protrusion abuts cord, C5-6 herniation L5-S1

Chiropractors know the spine - I'll give them that - but I wouldn't trust them to give me advice on surgical intervention. From the MRI quote it seems that the protrusion abuts the front of the spinal cord. Ventral is also used in terms of the root that exits the cord, a protrusion, or stenosis there, can be operated on with endoscopic foraminal surgery. You may want to clarify that with a surgeon. A ortho or neruo that specializes in the spine.

Sometimes radiologists use terms interchangeably or in terms of severity. So abuts, seems to be a milder contact then compression but it might not be. If its the protrusion pressing against your cord, and it's been so over an extended period of time, and it's just that one level of concern - then an ACDF would be likely if surgery was performed. But the only two people can make that call are you and the surgeon. Good luck on your appointment. I recommend you get at least two opinions. I live outside of Philly and have been to numerous surgeons who were recommeded to me.

Ive been told time and again that surgery is not a practice to relieve pain, it's not really to reverse nerve damage, and its to prevent future damage. Surgeons will discuss the risks involved, some to do with any surgery, some to do with damage, more pain, future surgeries from added pressure of the fusion etc

I cannot speak to the Lumbar issues. But I know what you're talking about with arm/shoulder pain with numbness in the fingers. My doctor refers to certain positions as a double crush. In that there is already pressure on the nerve, so any additional pressure, no matter how slight, along the nerve path can cause this temporary numb/tingly sensation.

Surgery can be great, it can be bad...but everyone will tell you it's a risk. Don't be surprised if surgeons want to wait and see how things progress before making any decisions. It will depend on myopathy, pain level, quality of life, ease of operation, potential future damage and lots of other things that you can discuss with a surgeon (not chiropractor).

As a side note - be weary of chiropractors with cervical spine problems. They say and may well help the situation - but they may just as easily make things much worse. I have been to several of them - relief was short lived and I was told the risk is too high - but everyone is different. Just like all of this stuff we deal with proceed at your own risk.

A disclaimer I have yet to have any spine surgery Im the common, gray area, wait and see patient