View Single Post
Old 07-16-2014, 03:03 PM   #2
Clyde1
(female)

Clyde1 HB UserClyde1 HB User
Re: Child with Down Syndrome experiencing difficulties

barkonst: I don't know how close you are to San Diego. What I do know is that the top doc in all matters Down syndrome in the world is located in San Diego. His name is Dr. William Mobley at UCSD. He is an investigator/research dr. and he studies Alzheimer's and Down syndrome concurrently. Along with being born with 30% more gaba in their brains than the rest of us, persons with DS are born also with too much of an amyloid percursor protein in their brain. App is the same protein that accumulates in the brains of certain individuals with advancing age and causes/contributes to the development of AD. Not all individuals with DS get AD, but some do. It now is appearing that not only persons with DS, but many in the general population are diagnosed at having AD, when they actually have a type of auto-immune disorder that presents with symptoms similar to AD. This auto-immune disorder is reversible if caught and diagnosed quickly enough. I do believe that Dr. Mobley has a clinical practice and sees patients. I would imagine that it is slow getting an appt. with him, but it would certainly be worth the wait. He is good! Hoping that your daughter will improve with the return to your old community. My daughter is 47, and I can say from experience that medication and DS do not easily mix, and can sometimes cause far more trouble than it is worth. All best wishers to your daughter and your family.

The Following User Says Thank You to Clyde1 For This Useful Post:
barkonst (07-16-2014)