View Single Post
Old 08-22-2014, 08:57 AM   #2
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Do I need to worry about cauda equina?

Welcome to the board. To the best of my knowledge, we do not have "haters" on our board.

Anyone who has issues at L5-S1 should be aware of the symptoms of cauda equina syndrome. There are a couple websites devoted exclusively to this topic that will answer many of your questions, and I would encourage you to look for them.

Generally speaking, the initial symptoms are dramatic...sudden muscle weakness, or sudden incontinence of bowel or bladder. Something like an ongoing small amount of leakage of urine could be related to nerve damage that is occurring now...but it is probably not as extensive as CES. I would mention this to your surgeon just to be sure....better to be safe than sorry.

What you have going on at L5-S1 is called a spondylolisthesis. I imagine you have a pars fracture that has allowed the slippage to occur. What is your surgeon proposing? Will he add on to your fusion or revise all levels?