View Single Post
Old 12-02-2014, 12:11 PM   #6
ChuckStr
Veteran
(male)

ChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB UserChuckStr HB User
Re: newbie here with some questions...

I wouldn't wait too long for the surgeon recommendation. If you are at the point where you are considering going to the ER because of the pain, that's pretty serious. I assume that the injections you're talking about were steroids to combat the inflammation and try to address the pain. If so, and those and other conservative measures have stopped working, and you refuse narcotic pain medication there isn't a lot more to be done other than surgery.

If you go to the ER in the shape you're in they will likely suggest surgery with whomever is on-call. In my experience, surgeons generally all believe they are the best but of course that isn't true. There are several stories on this board of people who have had surgeries from the "on-call" surgeon and have had problems so I wouldn't recommend that.

Having a fusion surgery won't necessarily alter your son's childhood at all outside of the recovery time. You may have to make accommodations after the surgery, and you may not. I always like to bring up Peyton Manning the quarterback for the Denver Broncos. He had a cervical fusion (which arguably has the potential to be more debilitating than the lumbar). 18 months after surgery he was back to playing at the same (or possibly even a higher) level than before the surgery. There are plenty of good reasons to have hope for a positive outcome after surgery. Also, I would argue that in the shape you're currently in, you won't be able to interact with your son the way you'd like either.

As to the timing, there are many factors. Most surgeons I talked to are scheduled a couple of months in advance. They may have some wiggle room for people that are in bad shape however. The ones I talked to saved some spots for particularly debilitated patients so you'll just have to work that out with the surgeon you ultimately pick.

Good luck and let us know how you get on...

The Following User Says Thank You to ChuckStr For This Useful Post:
littlebean (12-02-2014)