View Single Post
Old 04-20-2016, 07:55 PM   #2
MountainReader
Senior Veteran
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Ulna Shortening This friday

How will ulnar shortening address your laxity? I'm a bit confused about that.

If you have chronic inflammation from your excessive movement and the longer ulnar bone, it should help with the pain. That was part of why I had mine. I do have hypermobility/laxity issues.

I was in the initial slab cast for about 2 weeks until swelling went down and I got the stitches out. After that, I had a fiberglass cast. That was supposed to be for 4 weeks. I had to have a replacement within a couple weeks because I had so much more swelling that went down and I was flopping in it. After 6 weeks, the bone should be healed. I started PT after the cast came off. I struggled some with that. With the surgery, I went from full ROM with pain to not being able to supinate (palm up). Even with regular PT, I couldn't get there. In the end, it turned out my plate was loose. Once I had it out, my full ROM returned. I am now pain free too.

If you look at it, healing from the surgery is like healing from surgery for a broken bone. While I restricted lifting, I was able to have some use of the hand in the cast. I was also able to drive, etc... I didn't see it as much different than the brace I'd worn for so long prior. My surgery was on my dominate hand.

Good luck with your surgery.