View Single Post
Old 08-23-2003, 03:35 PM   #5
j_f_2003
Inactive

j_f_2003 HB User
Neurologist was surprised to see I was back and not better. He mentioned that the ns I saw is very conservative. I told him what had gone on in the last year and then he just did a simple test to see if the nerves were ok by applying a device that gave me sort of a shock. No needles and no exam. He said I was having a LOT of spasms and had no idea why I am still having them. He put me on a new medication "zonegran" and has no idea if I'd be better or not. It's an antiseizure medication but said that they rarely use the medicine for seizures. He said it works on the neuropathic pain and something else. He said the neck surgery is major. He also said that I am going to continue going up on the narcotic pain med scale if I don't get better. On the way out spouse asked if I should be exercising and he said yes. He said if I don't strengthen the muscles they would get weaker and weaker. He also said it should be supervised with a therapist so I don't hurt myself again and not to go to the gym to work out. I bought a gym membership earlier this year so I could do that. He didn't write me a prescription for more physical therapy and asked me if I was seeing anyone else. I said only pm dr. and he said he would be in contact with him. I go to pm dr. in a month and see neurologist in two weeks for a follow up. spouse wants me to just go to the gym with him so no idea if I will do that or wait to see if I will get a script for more physical therapy. I am hopeful that more p.t. and exercise may help me. I did have a lousy female therapist the second time.

I have a month's worth of pain patches left and I really need to do some p.t. before I run out rather try to go through p.t. an not get anywhere like I did before the injections. The chiro's office dismissed me because I couldn't increase my exercises to something stronger due to the pain. Then I got the injections and ended up with the lousy p.t. lady. I don't think the pm dr. will have a problem keeping me comfortable while I'm trying to strengthen the muscles. I hope once I exercise again it will reduce the pain and I can stop the patches eventually. Unfortunately the previous p.t. lady just increased my need for pain meds because she was so rough and dug her hands in my neck and pulled manual traction on my neck after her boss told me I would not be getting traction as it would make me worse. She also said I was not having spasms after three dr's including this neuro said I was having lots and said I was "hooked" on vicodin when I was taking only two per day. She needs to be fired! I hope someone else has a problem and complains about her. I wish she could feel my pain. I asked the neuro how long it would be before I got better and he said because it's already been a year, he has no idea if or when I'd get better. I wish I knew what was causing the spasms. I do have a follow up for Mon morning with the spine dr. but spouse wants me to cancel it because I'm not having surgery so I will call first thing on Mon and cancel.

[This message has been edited by j_f_2003 (edited 08-23-2003).]

[This message has been edited by j_f_2003 (edited 08-23-2003).]