View Single Post
Old 09-07-2003, 07:24 AM   #7
schragie
Veteran
(female)

schragie HB User
Ugh! I hear your frustration!

First, please don't forget to tell the doctor about problems with urination. In some cases, it could be a result of disc problems.

Second, I know you don't want to take more pills, but I have had bad problems with spasms in my eck/shoulder and a muscle relaxant called Flexiril helped a lot (though it did make me sleepy). If I took it at night, spasms would not wake me up and also I slept well. I also had the "jumping arm" which scared the heck out of me.

Since your docs are not recommending surgery and yet are baffled by your pain, maybe it's time to try something unconventional like acupuncture or biofeedback? I haven't done them myself, but they could help.

Again, sorry your doctors visits have been so difficult in terms of getting answers. Ever consider seeing a physiatrist? They deal with spinal problems/sports injuries/etc.

You may also want to get another opinion--from another neurosurgeon. I went to several. A different physical therapist might also help. There are ways to stregthen your muscles without lifting weights and I found relief in strengthening my stomach muscles, which improved my posture. Losing a little weight if you are overweight could help too.

Lastly, do you have a desk job? If you do, consider ergonomics, get a good chair. Use a headset instead of keeping the phone in crook of your shoulder.

This probably sounds preachy, so forgive me if it does. I hope you find some relief soon!

Lisa

------------------
1999 fusion C5-6 & C6-7
2002 herniation of C4-5