Thread: lumbar surgery
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2018, 04:06 PM   #4
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: lumbar surgery

Numb feet is often a sign of nerve compression of primarily the L5 spinal nerves....which also affects the buttocks and groin, along with the S1 spinal nerves.

Again I would suggest you get several opinions before reaching a decision. This is a great generality, but in my experience and the experience of people I know who have had spinal surgery, neurosurgeons tend to do more levels than do orthopedic spine surgeons. They tend to want to do all levels that might cause a problem whereas orthos tend to try to do as little as possible that will still accomplish the goal.

Keep in mind with every additional level of fusion that is done beyond one level, chances for success go down. Anything beyond three consecutive levels...(like L3-S1, for example) is avoided unless absolutely necessary. If you are fused from L1 to S1 you will definitely notice loss of movement, bending and twisting in particular. It will put a great deal of stress on the level above (T12) and the level below (the SI joints) the fusion.

Also keep in mind that there will be a long period of recovery...you may show signs of bone growth within the first month, but it will take at least a year for the fusion to set up and for the bone growth to become strong. When I was fused from L3 to S1 it took about 16 months until I began to feel that my energy levels were back to “normal” and my body adjusted to its new structural alignment. Don’t let anyone tell you you will only be laid up for a couple months. Recovery is long and requires a great deal of patience...and of course, there is no way to predict the outcome.

Only you can determine whether the possible benefits outweigh the risk of surgery and the possible unintended consequences. But I urge you to take your time in making a decision, to get at least another opinion to see if you have any options, etc.

I don’t understand what you mean by “without surgery I have 50-60% chance of success.” How would anything change if you do nothing?