View Single Post
Old 01-10-2019, 09:42 PM   #1
midwest guy
(male)

midwest guy HB User
Antidepressants, Fertility, & Conceiving

My wife and I are both in our late twenties and are ready to start our family. Within the past 2 years, I slowly began having stomach issues, mostly because of a combination of food allergies, diet, work, stress, etc. After 2 years of doctor's visits and tests, my gastroenterologist believes it is IBS . I have always been against taking medication of any kind, but my issues slowly got to the point they were interfering with my career and quality of life. The gastroenterologist suggested a low dose of an antidepressant as an off-label use, a method which is becoming more popular in controlling IBS.

I began taking a very low dose, 10 mg, of a TCA (tricyclic) antidepressant called Desipramine (Norpramin), once daily for approximately the past 3 months. The medication has actually made a world of difference. I am not completely back to normal, but it has made my symptoms much more manageable.

I have read various articles and studies online which talk about antidepressants reducing sperm count and potentially causing infertility (which is mostly reversible upon stopping medication). However, I believe a lot of those studies are based on people taking antidepressants for depression and anxiety at a much higher dosage, around 100 mg - 200 mg, as opposed to my low dose of 10 mg, and they seem to focus on SSRI antidepressants instead of TCAs.

Given that stopping the medication all together may cause my symptoms to return and bring me right back to square one, I am curious if anyone has any advice and/or experience conceiving while taking antidepressants, whether on a high dose or low dose.

I know this is more of a concern when the mother is taking antidepressants prior to, throughout, and after pregnancy, but I haven't been able to find much information about fathers taking antidepressants while conceiving as it relates to sperm count, fertility, birth defects, etc.

We are both in relatively good shape, don't smoke or use any tobacco, rarely drink, avoid most sugar and junk food.

Sponsors Lightbulb