Thread: Deep Cleaning?
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2019, 02:15 PM   #3
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Deep Cleaning?

Orsnher,

I had deep cleaning done once about 25 years ago and I definitely knew that I needed it. If I remember correctly, my gums had some red around the edges, rather than being completely pink. There was some soreness and there was some bleeding when I flossed. It was done in 4 visits and it was about $100. per visit. It might be more than twice that much today.

About 15 years ago, at a different dental office, my hygienist warned me that I probably would need deep cleaning. But I ignored the warning because I didn't have any of the usual symptoms that I mentioned above. My gums were pink, not sore, and not bleeding. So here I am 15 years later with no problems. I've been at a different dentist for about the past 10 years and she has never recommended deep cleaning.

Dentists often have different opinions. Several years ago I went to an elderly dentist who never saw any problems with my teeth. Then he sold his practice to a new (young) dentist and the new dentist said I had eight cavities. The retiring dentist was coming in one day a week during the transition so I made an appointment to see him. He checked my teeth and said his opinion was still the same, no cavities! I went for a 3rd opinion and he said I didn't have any cavities but needed 3 crowns. I went for a 4th opinion (an elderly dentist) and he agreed with the first dentist except that he thought I could use some work on my front tooth for cosmetic reasons. So he became my new dentist.

Whenever it involves something out of the ordinary, a second, 3rd or even 4th opinion can be very helpful. Finding a lot of work that needs to be done is called "aggressive" dentistry. That's what the elderly dentist told me about the new dentist who had bought his practice. That's known as being diplomatic. The new dentist wasn't a crook, he was simply practicing "aggressive" dentistry. ;-)