View Single Post
Old 02-10-2019, 07:41 PM   #4
yayagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
Re: Lab results. Unsure of diagnosis and treatment

Dear wizard81,

Whoever first named these levels did a rather confusing job, at least for the average person.
Similar labels do mean not enough thyroid hormone and the other label means too much.

A TOO HIGH TSH level can mean a diagnosis of hypothyroidism or inadequate thyroid hormone production.
A TOO LOW TSH might mean hyperthyroidism or over treatment of hypothyroidism.

You can trust that you doctor is treating your low thyroid appropriately. It takes about six weeks of treatment to see just how your body will respond. Hormone treatment is never a quick fix and every person's body has it's own thyroid hormone requirements.

According to the Mayo clinic website the most common form of hypothyroidism (which means not enough thyroid hormone) is indicated when the main thyroid hormone T4 is low, while the TSH level is high.

You do have the common symptoms of a too low of a level of thyroid hormone for you to be symptom free.
Which indicates that you are hypothyroid and very well may benefit from supplemental thyroid hormone.

I know it sounds confusing, but your doctor knows what it means. The doctor is right on to heed your symptoms of low thyroid and to start you on a trial dose to see if that helps the common hypothyroid symptoms which you have.

In my case, My TSH needs to be kept suppressed BELOW 1, or I am sluggish, cannot think or stay awake.
You can trust this doctor knows what to do for you.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-10-2019 at 08:07 PM.