View Single Post
Old 04-18-2019, 08:20 AM   #4
yayagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
Re: Physical Therapy for Spondylosis with Lumber strain

Dear Tori,

I can so relate. I'm old-fashioned and elderly, too.
I love to work in the yard, and just cannot do what I once could.

Doing some physical therapy can help a lot to strengthen muscles and get limber for garden work. I would not wait till after working in the garden. There is no reason not to do both. It helps a lot to spread out the work time span and do stretches before and after gardening.

Pay a strong neighbor to do hole digging. Mainly do use proper tools and do not stress your back. Get a back brace and use it while gardening.

Sit on something so you don't need to bend from your waist. If you have to bend over it is imperative to sit first. A metal folding chair works great and can be easily stored out of the way. Just don't sit it on damp soil. There are also plastic gardening stools.

Mainly if you get pain you already overdid, and the older we get the slower it is to recover. So do whatever you can to avoid bend over at the waist or to get over tired. The garden isn't going anywhere and will need attended to all season.