Thread: Surgery in June
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2019, 07:42 AM   #4
yayagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
Re: Surgery in June

Dear Laura,

I have had various leg and foot surgeries and have had to use crutches for six months, have had to use a wheel chair, a cane or a leg brace, have often needed to put my foot up or stay off of it for six months to a year, and I am a fast healer.

Again, when you have that much going on, unless you want to avoid being at Europe in a wheel chair or an emergency room, I suggest that you reschedule until you had time to completely recover including being released for a tour by your physical therapist that evaluated what you can safely do. Doing too much too soon can cause a set back that can make recovery longer. None of those things are predictable.

Trying to hurry up to have fun can result in a very bad experience and disappointment. It really doesn't matter how anyone else recovered. An athlete might bounce back while other folks can end up with severe complications from doing too much too soon. Only your therapist can evaluate where you are at or might be in this process.

Just because a doctor says you will have this much down time and time in a boot, he cannot predict what you will really able to tolerate or need. One time we bounce back and another time there can be an irritated nerve or a bone doesn't fuse properly or a pin or plate moves. Surgery isn't like a car repair and it's done and ready for normal use at a predicted time.

The Following User Says Thank You to yayagirl For This Useful Post:
LauraBSD (04-30-2019)