View Single Post
Old 06-12-2019, 07:13 AM   #2
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Reasons for inflammation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissaadore View Post
My question is what else can cause inflammation if it’s not IBD?
Inflammation is a common problem because 65% of Americans are either overweight or obese. Technically, a person doesn't even have to be overweight if they have a high percentage of body fat. That's because excess body fat is inflammatory.

Also, certain highly processed foods like baked goods made with sugar and white flour are said to be the worst inflammatory foods, but there are many others. Then there are natural whole foods that are said to be anti-inflammatory.

Chronic stress or allergy can cause inflammation.

Gum disease and other bacterial infections can cause systemic inflammation.

Quote:
What else can I ask my doctor to check for or test me for?
Most likely your doctor already knows your height, weight and BMI. So he knows if you are overweight. But, to be certain, you should also know what your percentage of body fat is. If it's too high it could cause inflammation, even if your BMI is below 25.

As far as what your diet should consist of, medical doctors are usually not in the business of giving advice on what you should or shouldn't eat.