View Single Post
Old 08-06-2003, 04:14 PM   #1
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 9
Chaotican HB User
Post Should I see a Urologist?

I'm wondering if a Urologist is appropriate for what is happening to me. I've been under the care of an OBGYN (I'm female, but I hear that Urologists see women, too) for the problems I've been having, but I'm becoming convinced that they are only treating the symptoms. I think that I have a resistant strain of bacteria that is causing many problems.

It started with a terrible bladder infection on Christmas Day 2002. My urine was coming out red and chunky before I even began to feel the effects of the UTI. I got antibiotics and it went away after about three grueling days.

Then I got an infection on my labia. I had to get that lanced. Then a neighboring gland became infected. Then another gland became infected. The infection went away on its own, but I didn't feel like it was really gone. It came back a month later, and finally I had to have surgery to have the gland removed. The gland had expanded and stretched WAY further into sensitive areas than it should have.

Now, two months after surgery (which left me scared, but now I'm just venting), I got another boil over the weekend and it burst. The drainage seems to have caused a yeast infection. My OBGYN told me to just keep an eye on it and come back as soon as there was further swelling. They are treating it as if they just didn't remove all of the gland.

I still feel like something is wrong. The left side of my labia is tough to describe. You know when you are about to get a huge zit, how the skin feels tender and full? Well, it feels like that. Would a Urologist be able to test for bacteria? Is there any other type of doctor I should see?

Thank you very much!

Sponsors Lightbulb