View Single Post
Old 11-30-2003, 02:27 AM   #4
zuzu8
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Re: weird, fuzzy, disoriented,light-headed, dizzy

FUZ- When I was in my mid-thirties, I went through a couple of years of feeling lightheaded, "dizzy-ish", just weird.
I felt not "grounded", unsteady, even though my gait was perfect. I always felt "tippy", like I MIGHT lose my balance, but never did.
One of the best descriptions I could come up with was a feeling of "sea-legs", as if I'd just stepped off a boat. The earth seemed to be moving underneath me inappropriately.
Regular doc ran a battery of tests, all bloods and urine normal. Neurologist gave me a thorough work-up and found all systems A-Okay.
I had a brain scan and tomographies of my inner ear...eveything normal.
The sensations alone made me fearful and anxious and exacerbated everything.
It was a vicious cycle. The sensations lead to fear which lead to more feelings of "tippiness" which lead to even more anxiety and on and on.

Low doses of tranquillizers helped and I also saw a therapist for a while who helped calm me enormously, because by this time I was sure I had some occult disease that everyone had missed. Along the way, I discovered I had some pretty important issues in my life that I was avoiding which I really hadn't been aware of.

The bottom line is that eventually the symptoms subsided and then disappeared entirely.
Not saying that your symptoms are psychological, but you should know that lightheadness is a common sign of anger, depression,and anxiety. If you continue to feel lousy, see a neuro person, if for no other reason than to rule out things neurological and reassure you.

These symptoms sometimes appear for no apparent reason and disappear for no apparent reason!

zuzu xx