It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• silent reflux thoughts?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-07-2015, 11:26 AM   #1
    hopeful15
    (female)

hopeful15 HB User
    silent reflux thoughts?

I've been having a sore throat and my voice seems weaker. I went to ent and he looked at vocal chords said they were fine and sent me home on omeprazol for 6wks to see if it was silent reflux. When I asked if he saw any signs of reflux the nurse said i just had a little bit of redness on my adenoids. Here is my question, if I had reflux to the point that I was in severe throat pain and my voice was having issues wouldn't that mean that there should be more inflammation and redness in throat? Could I not just have some type of infection?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2015, 04:25 AM   #2
    Sezza84
    (female)

Sezza84 HB UserSezza84 HB User
    Re: silent reflux thoughts?

Hi hopeful

I recently saw and ENT after chronic saw throat for years as well as hoarse/strained voice. He said my vocal chords were red raw and believed it to be from silent reflux or LPR as I don't have any of the normal GERD symptoms. Your symptoms could be due to and infection but also could be silent reflux. How long have you been experiencing this for? The ENT also pointed out that I misuse my voice and this can cause increased muscle tension in the throat leading to abnormal friction between vocal chords which also can cause inflammation and tight throat. So maybe that is something to look into as well?

Old 04-10-2015, 09:27 AM   #3
    hopeful15
    (female)

hopeful15 HB User

It has been like this for two months. I am a singer and a substitute teacher so I use my voice a lot. I think it may be more infection or muscle issues due to speaking unhealthy when I teach. My dad recently had some asthma/voice issues found out he had bad reflux and a voice disorder. He is healing up his throat and working with a speech therapist and his voice is better than ever. My ENT I saw said If it was reflux, I would not notice a difference until I had been on meds at least 6wks. It hasnt even been a month and my dad is talking fine. My dad's throat showed visible signs of reflux mine did not.

Last edited by hopeful15; 04-10-2015 at 09:28 AM.

Old 04-12-2015, 12:21 AM   #4
    Sezza84
    (female)

Sezza84 HB UserSezza84 HB User

Hi hopeful15

My ENT also said to give it 6 weeks to see an improvement. I would think even with an infection there would be noticeable inflammation of the larynx and vocal chords. It could be silent reflux but maybe when it is occurring it is resolving quickly and not causing too much irritation. On a scale of 1-10 how sore does your throat get? I would say on a bad day mine is a 10, very burning sore throat. Are you also following a low acid diet, not food 2-3 hours before bed etc. If you are using your voice a lot then it could definitely be voice misuse. Go on you tube and search voice therapy, there are some helpful exercises for voice misuse/abuse. Otherwise it wouldn't hurt getting a second opinion. Good luck.

Closed Thread