It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Pointless to stop H2 blockers while on antibiotics?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-25-2015, 01:55 AM   #1
    ggl3dde
    (male)

ggl3dde HB User
    Lightbulb Pointless to stop H2 blockers while on antibiotics?

Hey everyone, thanks for taking the time to read/respond.

If you want to skip of those wall of text: taking antibiotics and 10 mg Famotidine for resulting acid reflux. Can I drop the Famotidine in favor of natural remedies while still taking antibiotics?
    --

So I was diagnosed with Lyme last year and after 12 months (!) of antibiotic treatment, I'm on my way to start tapering off the horrible drugs (yay!). For the last 4/5 months, though, my stomach started to really give out, especially because of an ongoing yeast infection, and as such, I started taking 10 mg Famotidineafter experimenting with various OTC H2 blockers suggested by my GI.

And while I hated adding more medicine to my cocktail already, I was really pleased that 10mg was effective and didn't require me to take more extreme measures, i.e. H2 blockers in high dosages/twic a day, PPI's, etc. On the other hand, I absolutely loathe taking the H2 blockers -- almost more than some of my abx.... They knock me out only to wake me up at 4-5 AM, loopy and mentally out of it no less; give me fantastic headaches, and dry out my sinuses to the point that my daily wakeup routine includes using a netti pot and eye drops.

So I guess my question is, since I still have 1-2.5 months of slow antiboitic tapering, should I just wait until I'm completely done before stopping the Famotidine? I want to break the cycle, but because I fortunately know the source of my acid reflux, I feel like fixing the problem at both ends may be too much.

Even so, would I even need to taper 10mg of Famotidine? I already take Slippery Elm, Aloe, Turmeric (for yeast as well) and occasionally ginger with mixed and perhaps unknown success, and will be trying Marshmallow Root soon -- so I was hoping I could naturally stave off any rebound acid if I do drop the Famotidine. I might give DGL might be a shot, but I'll have to confirm with my doc for interactions, even if its the "safe" form of licorice.

Thanks for the insight

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
    test