It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Is this GERD?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-14-2015, 08:54 PM   #1
    arthur0
    (male)

arthur0 HB User
    Red face Is this GERD?

about me: 30yo caucasian male, ex-smoker (pack-a-day for 12yrs) and ex-drinker, fatigue/hypotension problems for 2 years but no other known medical conditions, 60kg/174cm.

Over the last 6 months I've had progressively worsening reflux like symptoms. Here is a rough timeline:

6mo ago - chronic mild heartburn in chest
    4mo ago - chronic heartburn rising to throat and chin
    2mo ago - (started Nexium) chronic heartburn, sore throat, vitamin capsule getting stuck in throat (at neck level) and burping up powder
    1mo ago to present - (on Nexium) chronic heartburn, sore throat, dysphagia at neck level; can only eat soft foods like yogurt and need to clear throat and cough and swallow multiple times

Since 2mo ago I've been on and off Nexium (about 2 weeks at a time) since it hasn't seemed to have addressed any of my symptoms at all. I saw my doctor 2 days ago to ask for a different medication. I was told if one PPI doesn't work it is unlikely any other would and that PPI not working indicates my symptoms are not caused by acid. I only rarely feel acid rise to my throat; maybe once a week

Since starting Pantoprazole I've felt a feeling like thick mucus is in my throat that I need to swallow. My appetite has been lowering and today I've noticed that everything I put in my mouth tastes slightly bad, including water. I also feel a bit of nausea but haven't vomited yet.

I have made most of the recommended lifestyle changes for GERD people: not eating large meals or within hours before bed, raising head of bed by 15-20cm, avoiding acidic foods, eating probiotic foods and apple cider vinegar with the mother.

I have a Barium Swallow scheduled for 10 Nov and Endoscope some time after.

While I'm waiting I wanted to know if anyone had any clue on what could be causing my problems, or any other general advice to help. I am losing weight and a bit worried that I will become malnourished if my appetite and swallowing doesn't improve.

Thanks for reading and good luck to everyone.

The following user gives a hug of support to arthur0:
    movielover40 (10-15-2015)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2015, 01:27 AM   #2
    rainbowsrock
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB User
    Re: Is this GERD?

Yes, it all sounds familiar
    PPI'S don't work well on a on/off basis. It takes about 5 days continuous use for them to work well
    The endoscopy and barium swallow will help in diagnosis

If you think the pills aren't working because it's not acid i wonder if you have had your gallbladder removed like me, as I think my reflux is bile

Old 10-15-2015, 01:37 AM   #3
    arthur0
    (male)

arthur0 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rainbowsrock View Post
    Yes, it all sounds familiar
    PPI'S don't work well on a on/off basis. It takes about 5 days continuous use for them to work well
    The endoscopy and barium swallow will help in diagnosis

If you think the pills aren't working because it's not acid i wonder if you have had your gallbladder removed like me, as I think my reflux is bile
    Thanks for your reply. No I didn't have my gallbladder removed.

Most recently I've been on Nexium 40mg/day for 6 days and this is my 3rd day of Pantoprazole 40mg/day, so 9 days in total. But I don't have any relief at all, I have constant feeling of heartburn from my sternum to my neck and I can't swallow well.

I am wondering what are the other possibilities if acid is not the culprit and what else I could try. I was told about eosinophilic esophagitis and have been eating very little the past week, basically just some greek yogurt, honey and soup however no difference. Since starting the pantoprazole I've been feeling sick but the Nexium pills are too big to swallow for me now. The Pantopraole is much smaller.

Last edited by arthur0; 10-15-2015 at 01:41 AM. Reason: more info

Old 10-15-2015, 05:17 AM   #4
    rainbowsrock
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB User

May be sinus problem
    My reflux is a million times worse when I have sinus issues as the acid/bile gets stuck in the mucous (sorry, too much information)

If you still have your gallbladder I can't understand why the PPI'S wouldn't work
    The endoscopy will reveal if you have inflamed areas, if you have the tablets may take a while to heal them

Old 10-15-2015, 06:08 AM   #5
    jw994
    (female)

jw994 HB Userjw994 HB Userjw994 HB Userjw994 HB Userjw994 HB User

I have LPR which does not respond very well to PPIs. I use ranidine at night. I also suggest that you get some alkaline water with a ph higher than 8. There has been research that alkaline water neutralizes pepsin which can damage the esophagus. Also, try to eat foods with a ph of 5 or higher for the next couple of weeks. You should avoid tomato products, caffeine, soft drinks, most fruits, chocolate, alcohol, spicy foods and eat a lot of cooked fresh or frozen vegetables except peppers and onions. Do not eat canned foods because most have citric acid or something added to make more acid for safety. You may want your doctor to prescribe some carafate suspension which you can take up to four times a day which helps the esophagus heal. I do not suggest you go off of the PPI, but you can add ranidine at night. You will know more about what you are dealing with after the tests.

Last edited by jw994; 10-15-2015 at 06:12 AM. Reason: incorrect word

Closed Thread

Tags
    dysphagia, gerd, nexium, protonix, swallowing difficulty