It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Safer Zantac dosage: 3x150mg or 2x300mg?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-31-2015, 03:53 AM   #1
    shizentai
    (male)

shizentai HB User
    Question Safer Zantac dosage: 3x150mg or 2x300mg?

I've been forced to take 150mg Zantac every 8 hours for the past 2.5 years. The standard dose of 150mg every 12 hours was not enough.

Now I am concerned with observed loss of libido in the past few months, and in general I've been having fatigue and a bit of a mind fog for at least 1.5 years.

It's not dramatic fatigue, but enough for me to wish a return to my "normal self".

Switching to 40mg Pepcid every 12 hours seemed like the ideal solution, but I wasted a year of progress on that, because Pepcid burns out really fast and does not really give you a reliable control of your day. So I managed to transition back to Zantac 150x3, which was a lot more painful this time around.

Anyway, my physician insists that taking 300mg of Zantac every 12 hours is better for the body than taking 150mg every 8 hours, because supposedly the frequency is more damaging than the dosage.

I couldn't find anything on the web, nobody seems to know whether this is true. Any help would be appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2015, 11:47 AM   #2
    Froodie
    (female)

Froodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB User
    Re: Safer Zantac dosage: 3x150mg or 2x300mg?

Your liver deals with everything, so I think that spreading the dose out would be kinder to it. Zantac is supposed to be quite a safe drug to take and better than taking proton pump inhibitors, in my opinion.

I'm using big doses of this drug to help me get off a proton pump inhibitor. I take 150mg four times a day and I'm just fine on that.

Old 11-02-2015, 01:38 PM   #3
    shizentai
    (male)

shizentai HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Froodie View Post
    Your liver deals with everything, so I think that spreading the dose out would be kinder to it. Zantac is supposed to be quite a safe drug to take and better than taking proton pump inhibitors, in my opinion.

I'm using big doses of this drug to help me get off a proton pump inhibitor. I take 150mg four times a day and I'm just fine on that.

Thanks for your reply. For how long have you been taking it, though? I've been on it for... too long.

Old 11-03-2015, 02:10 AM   #4
    Froodie
    (female)

Froodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB User

I'm on it short term, weeks, to help me off PPIs. In my opinion Zantac is better than any PPI, but the best treatment is massive lifestyle changes. Difficult to achieve, I know, but it can be done. Good luck.

Old 11-03-2015, 05:54 AM   #5
    rainbowsrock
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB User

I am also weaning off my PPI and aiming to just have Zantac at night with Gaviscon Advance if needed

Closed Thread

Tags
    dosage, ranitidine, zantac