It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Gerd is ruining my life

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-06-2016, 08:29 AM   #1
    simplyoverit
    (female)

simplyoverit HB User
    Angry Gerd is ruining my life

Just to put it buntly I am 35 years old and honestly I feel like I am 95 and just waiting to take my last breath. This is so crazy that a disease such as acid reflux can make you feel this way. My symptoms to name a few, I cant breathe, I have chest pain, I have the heart palps, I have the heart flutters, I have the chest tightness. The first thing I think of is THIS HAS GOT TO BE MY HEART! But no its the thing called gerd! I quit drinking, I quit smoking, I quit all of the stuff that I loved, and it is still here. This is seriously ruining my life, is there anyone out there that is going through the same thing? same symtoms? how do you cope??? Seriosuly struggling here!

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: simplyoverit
    immacreep (04-07-2016),rainbowsrock (04-06-2016)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2016, 10:06 AM   #2
    rainbowsrock
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB User
    Re: Gerd is ruining my life

I share your feeling of hopelessness

I have be very very good dietwise as I have weaned off PPI'S
    But I am tired of waking up with that awful taste in my mouth, tired of the nightly coughing fits

It's a terrible condition to cope with

Old 04-06-2016, 10:51 AM   #3
    simplyoverit
    (female)

simplyoverit HB User

The symptoms are horrible!

Old 04-06-2016, 11:07 AM   #4
    JudyLady
    (female)

JudyLady HB User

A lot of things help but Gerd doesn't go away. Raise the head of your bed a few inches. Eat small, frequent meals. Avoid spicy foods. Give up smoking and drinking. Take Prilosec. Try different things until you find the right combo for you.

Old 04-06-2016, 02:13 PM   #5
    Panicstations
    (female)

Panicstations HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by simplyoverit View Post
    Just to put it buntly I am 35 years old and honestly I feel like I am 95 and just waiting to take my last breath. This is so crazy that a disease such as acid reflux can make you feel this way. My symptoms to name a few, I cant breathe, I have chest pain, I have the heart palps, I have the heart flutters, I have the chest tightness. The first thing I think of is THIS HAS GOT TO BE MY HEART! But no its the thing called gerd! I quit drinking, I quit smoking, I quit all of the stuff that I loved, and it is still here. This is seriously ruining my life, is there anyone out there that is going through the same thing? same symtoms? how do you cope??? Seriosuly struggling here!

I feel exactly the same at the minute I'm 32 years old and I feel like I shouldn't be going through this so young. Food clogs in my throat, I have constant phlegm that I can't swallow, chest pain that is worse with every breath, feel like I'm not getting enough oxygen like my lungs are clogged, stomach pain, throat pain etc I've had endoscopies, barium swallows and all I have been diagnosed with is intermittent reflux although I'm suffering all the time. I never have a break from this.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:16 PM   #6
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Have you seen a good GI doctor? Gerd can be confused with so many other things. A good GI doctor can test you to make sure it is Gerd and also prescribe something for you to make you more comfortable. If left untreated, Gerd can affect the espophogus and can turn into esphogeal cancer. It can also be something called Barrets Esphogus, which my family is now dealing with- with our mother.
    There are many drugs on the market if it is Gerd which can help you; my mother has been having the exact same complaints as you are describing- she was positive it was Indigestion. It turned out to be Barretts and she is being treated for this with laser ablation.

Last edited by MSNik; 04-06-2016 at 04:17 PM.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:02 PM   #7
    Augustus
    (male)

Augustus HB User

Hello Rainbowsrock,

I too had acid reflux (Gerd) and now Barrettes. I began when I was 35. That was 29 years ago. The Gerd can develop into Barrett's esophagus . You do not want that. I used every medication on the market. My gastroenterologist prescribed me aciphex. It does wonders-especially for me . For the last 25 years, I have been taking one tablet every day-no gerd. It is expensive and does not work for everybody, but it gave me back a normal life. I would ask your doctor about it.

Good Luck,

Augustus

The Following User Says Thank You to Augustus For This Useful Post:
    rainbowsrock (04-07-2016)
    Old 04-06-2016, 07:20 PM   #8
    Momzilla1959
    (female)

Momzilla1959 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by simplyoverit View Post
    Have you tried CARAFATE SUSPENION?

Old 04-06-2016, 07:21 PM   #9
    Momzilla1959
    (female)

Momzilla1959 HB User

*suspension?

Old 04-06-2016, 09:25 PM   #10
    immacreep
    (female)

immacreep HB User

Hi, I'm 25 years old and I totally feel you! I've only had GERD for about 3 months now but it's been a crazy time so far. The symptom that bugs me the most is throat burn. Used to have chest pains but they're no longer there. I'm also worried that my oesophagus and throat might be damaged in the long term by the acid.

I did my endoscope about awhile back and I'm on a 4week course of PPIs and Gaviscon Advanced and I find that it stops my throat burn. Maybe try taking PPIs and see if they help alleviate your chest pains? There are apparently some side effects to PPI so I do hope to stop them eventually but right now my doctor told me that my symptoms will go away after this 4 week course (first time im taking PPIs for such an extended period of time). We shall see.

Because of GERD, I quit drinking and smoking too. It's tough adjusting but I've learnt that you gotta do what you gotta do for your health. Do like what JudyLady mentioned above. Eat less and avoid spicy food and all that. You can also eat manuka honey, add chiaseeds in your water and all that other good stuff for your body to boost your immunity.

This might sound cliché but I find that what helps is really a positive attitude and a good sense of humour about all of this. Worrying too much will make you more anxious and make your symptoms worst. I went through that phase where I just worried non-stop and kept worrying but I decided to just **** it, eat my meds, and try to live my life.

I hope you get better soon!

Old 04-07-2016, 02:53 AM   #11
    rainbowsrock
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB User

I am considering going back on a low dose PPI but would like to avoid it if possible

Just wanted to say anyone wanting to come off PPI'S because of the side effects please do NOT do it cold turkey. Wean off slowly. I did it by opening the capsules and taking less (in stages) of the little balls

Old 04-12-2016, 08:10 AM   #12
    simplyoverit
    (female)

simplyoverit HB User

The not breathing well is terrifying me!!!!

Old 04-14-2016, 09:21 PM   #13
    jzdavis
    (male)

jzdavis HB User

You may want to try these..

- iodine in high dosages. Might not be safe for everyone, so some research is needed before you try. This helps with candida overgrowth and other stuff like too much estrogen.

- probiotics but you have to get good ones and not the cheap ones. I have been using Kyo-dophilus but there are better, more expensive ones if you have the money

-exercise

Last edited by ModHB007; 04-17-2016 at 09:12 AM.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:58 AM   #14
    danabarb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

Aloe vera helped me very much. There was a time when I could not even go near coffee, but after taking aloe vera pills three times a day, for a time, I now can. Aloe vera is a healing plant. I was on medication the dr. prescribed, but it only worked for so long. When I went back and told him it stopped working, he told me to take two pills instead of one. I came home; searched the Internet; started taking the aloe vera and threw the pills away.

Reply Reply