It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Shortness of breath

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 06-04-2016, 02:58 PM   #1
    Thehappyboy
    (male)

Thehappyboy HB User
    Shortness of breath

Hello everyone,

Im 21 years old. I do a lot of sports (well I did until I got this problem). I eat quite healthy and have healthy weight. I also don't smoke. I could say that I have quite healthy lifestyle and thats why GERD suprised me even more (I read that you usually get this disease because of unhealthy foods and unhealthy lifestyle)

So, it all started 3 months ago when I started getting problems with shortness of breath and pain in my chest area. First off, doctors told me that I have asthma that is connected to my allergies, so they gave me medicine for asthma (I had problems with breathing when I was a child because of this "allergie" asthma, but I cured it pretty fast and haven't got this problem for about 10 years). I noticed that the medicine didn't help me at all and that I had even stronger chest pains after taking the medicine. I' ve also been to pulmonologist and my lungs were quite close to "normal" (not perfect at start but I am close to it now. Still, same breathing problems). They also x-rayed my chest and everything looked fine, the only thing that could be the case is very small inflammation on my lungs (they were not even sure if true. They also gave me medicine for that just in case). I've also gone to emergency department (very hard time breathing, nausea, dizziness, pain in chest and lungs pain when trying to fully inhale air). Because of those symptomes they cheked my heart, blood etc. and found out that everything is normal. They said again that it could be because of the inflammation of my lungs and GERD (not sure if this is the proper word...im not english). In other words, nothing serious.

1 month ago, after quite a few appointments my doctor and pulmonologist diagnosed me with GERD. Currently, I have basically almost all possible symptoms for GERD, but the biggest problem I am facing is constant shortness of breath. I just can't get full breath almost any time and it gets even worse when I lay down. In fact it is so hard for me that I started sleeping on a couch since my upper body is elevated and it is a bit easier for me. I am taking PPIs for about 4 weeks (I took 2 pills a day for first 2 weeks) and I haven't noticed any improvements so far (the parts that might have improved a little bit are other symptoms like heartburn and chest pain, but I could hardly tell) so my personal doctor sent me to gastroscopy for which I will have to wait few months.

Is there anything I can do to help myself till I wait ? Sometimes my anxiety level gets very high at nights and that makes things and my breathing even worse. Even though the doctors are very optimistic I sometimes feel quite hopeless because I can't help myself in any way and it is very hard for me to bear with my breathing problems.

P.S. Sorry for my mistakes in english... Im not native speaker.

Also thanks for all replies !

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2016, 03:34 PM   #2
    Myla88
    (female)

Myla88 HB User
    Re: Shortness of breath

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thehappyboy View Post
    Hello everyone,

Im 21 years old. I do a lot of sports (well I did until I got this problem). I eat quite healthy and have healthy weight. I also don't smoke. I could say that I have quite healthy lifestyle and thats why GERD suprised me even more (I read that you usually get this disease because of unhealthy foods and unhealthy lifestyle)

So, it all started 3 months ago when I started getting problems with shortness of breath and pain in my chest area. First off, doctors told me that I have asthma that is connected to my allergies, so they gave me medicine for asthma (I had problems with breathing when I was a child because of this "allergie" asthma, but I cured it pretty fast and haven't got this problem for about 10 years). I noticed that the medicine didn't help me at all and that I had even stronger chest pains after taking the medicine. I' ve also been to pulmonologist and my lungs were quite close to "normal" (not perfect at start but I am close to it now. Still, same breathing problems). They also x-rayed my chest and everything looked fine, the only thing that could be the case is very small inflammation on my lungs (they were not even sure if true. They also gave me medicine for that just in case). I've also gone to emergency department (very hard time breathing, nausea, dizziness, pain in chest and lungs pain when trying to fully inhale air). Because of those symptomes they cheked my heart, blood etc. and found out that everything is normal. They said again that it could be because of the inflammation of my lungs and GERD (not sure if this is the proper word...im not english). In other words, nothing serious.

1 month ago, after quite a few appointments my doctor and pulmonologist diagnosed me with GERD. Currently, I have basically almost all possible symptoms for GERD, but the biggest problem I am facing is constant shortness of breath. I just can't get full breath almost any time and it gets even worse when I lay down. In fact it is so hard for me that I started sleeping on a couch since my upper body is elevated and it is a bit easier for me. I am taking PPIs for about 4 weeks (I took 2 pills a day for first 2 weeks) and I haven't noticed any improvements so far (the parts that might have improved a little bit are other symptoms like heartburn and chest pain, but I could hardly tell) so my personal doctor sent me to gastroscopy for which I will have to wait few months.

Is there anything I can do to help myself till I wait ? Sometimes my anxiety level gets very high at nights and that makes things and my breathing even worse. Even though the doctors are very optimistic I sometimes feel quite hopeless because I can't help myself in any way and it is very hard for me to bear with my breathing problems.

P.S. Sorry for my mistakes in english... Im not native speaker.

Also thanks for all replies !
    I am going through something similar. I have GERD and cannot swallow liquids or solids. I did all the testing possible but nothing was found to be wrong expect the acid reflux. Has your condition improved at all yet?

Old 06-04-2016, 03:50 PM   #3
    Thehappyboy
    (male)

Thehappyboy HB User
    Re: Shortness of breath

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Myla88 View Post
    I am going through something similar. I have GERD and cannot swallow liquids or solids. I did all the testing possible but nothing was found to be wrong expect the acid reflux. Has your condition improved at all yet?
    Sorry to hear it. Sometimes I also have some problems swallowing, but not always. Also, my condition doesn't really look like it improved (or hardly noticeable)... Especially the shortness of breath part.

Reply Reply

Tags
    asthma, gerd, shortness of breath