It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Concerns about taking Prilosec?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-29-2016, 10:55 AM   #1
    jellybelly16
    (female)

jellybelly16 HB User
    Question Concerns about taking Prilosec?

For a week, I have been waking up with constant nausea and always felt full when I ate, along with a few other symptoms. I went to the doctor a few days later and she said I might have acid reflux (which is weird because ive never had these kind of problems before) and is making me take Prilosec for 14 days.

I was looking online and reading every single thing about people's experience with Prilosec, and none seem to be good. BUT, everyone's experience are different from mine, for I seem to have a VERY mild case on it compared to others! Within two days after visiting the doctor, I have been getting this bubbly and uncomforting feeling on the left side of my chest (i guess where my heart is). I assumed it was heartburn although it did not hurt. That lasted for a full two days until I decided I should just take the Prilosec. Today was my first day taking it, and I do actually feel kind of relieved.

I keep worrying, though. I'm having bad anxiety because of this and I keep looking at all these forums and experiences and these people keep saying they either have withdrawls, bad symptoms when done taking it, or their acid reflux has gotten worse after taking it. Before I was scared to start going on this medication in case i didnt actually have acid reflux and it would mess up my stomach, but now I'm scared for when the 14 days are up and im OFF the medication. I keep saying "what if this" or "what if that" and its making me nervous!! I hate feeling nauseous and if the heartburn gets WORSE like everyone says it does then I feel like I'll be so depressed. It's controlling my mind all day!! I haven't even had this acid reflux for a full two weeks and its not that bad compared to other people and its ALREADY making me nervous and feel discomforted.

It's also difficult that I have to gain a bunch of weight too, since I lost 20 pounds since February, so Im stuck having to drink Ensure.

I guess I just want reassurance that everything is going to be okay- or atleast HOPEFULLY everything will be okay. I'm starting to be on a diet so i was also wondering that if i keep this diet will my acid reflux come back?? Will the prilosec affect me THAT bad when the 14 days are up? Am i worrying too much?? If it helps, i just turned 18.

I'm so sorry this post sounds confusing or my thoughts are jumbled, im just very nervous and writing whatever is in my head right now bc im freaking out right now. Any adivce/comments/success stories are welcome. It would also be nice if someone can let me know how to prevent getting this acid reflux in the future. Thank you

Last edited by jellybelly16; 08-29-2016 at 11:02 AM.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: jellybelly16
    Lucy3156 (08-30-2016),movielover40 (08-30-2016)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2016, 10:35 AM   #2
    movielover40
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

movielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB User
    Re: Concerns about taking Prilosec?

Worrying won't help.

I have been on PPI's for a couple of years now.

If it helps take it.

All drugs have side effects.

Old 08-30-2016, 04:18 PM   #3
    noevr
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Changing your diet to control acid reflux is the key in this game. Let that be your focus. Once you have that under control and find out your triggers (different for some) you will feel better. After your writing days and you find yourself needing something I'd try a zantac it works differently. I keep tums with me as well.

Also a probiotic is good to take everyday.

Don't eat late at night or lay down after eating, give it a couple hours to go down. Overeating isn't good either.

You can find ginger gum at most drug stores in the section where they have motion sickness stuff. It helps with nausea.

I had to give up my morning java . I'm able to have green tea now though. Took a while.

You'll find you will have flare ups and during those days you'll need really bland foods. Just have to ride the storm.

Good luck, Cathy

Old 08-31-2016, 10:47 AM   #4
    jellybelly16
    (female)

jellybelly16 HB User

Hello!! Thank you so much for replying. I finally calmed my nerves knowing all I had to do was change my diet while on Prilosec, but then I got a call from my doctor saying I need to eat fatty foods/foods with a lot of calories!! I'm pretty underweight and within a month he wants me to gain atleast 15 pounds. With that said, I can't exactly go on the diet I wanted. Now I'm concerned that this fattyish diet im going on will affect my acid reflux even more!! I hate having anxiety!!

Reply Reply

Tags
    acid reflux, anxiety, heartburn acid reflux, prilosec, worrying