It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Heartburn Days After Fundoplication Surgery

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 10-02-2016, 09:57 PM   #1
    BethMarie
    (female)

BethMarie HB User
    Heartburn Days After Fundoplication Surgery

Hi all,

I had laproscopic Fundoplication surgery a week ago, but I am still having bouts of heartburn and acid reflux. The surgeon said the surgery went well, so I assumed everything was fine, but over the last couple of days, the heartburn has started to come back.

I am still on all of my anti reflux meds, and now the heartburn is worse than before the surgery when I was on these meds.

Does anyone know if it is common to have reflux right after the surgery, or is it possible that the surgery just didn't work? I can't get in to see the surgeon for my post on appointment for another month, so I'm not really sure who to ask about this in the meantime.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: BethMarie
    MountainReader (10-03-2016),movielover40 (10-04-2016)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2016, 10:44 PM   #2
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
    Re: Heartburn Days After Fundoplication Surgery

I think it is normal for some as part of the healing process. Sometimes, the feeling is just from stuff sitting in the esophagus for a while before making it past the wrap. My GI doc told me it takes about 8 weeks for the swelling to completely subside. I had times I felt like I was heaving up acid. My surgeon said it was liquids coming back up that didn't make it past the wrap.

What are you eating? I was on a liquid diet for 2 weeks, with clear liquids during the first week. My surgeon told me I couldn't even have a strawberry smoothie because of the seeds in the drink. After that, I was on soft mushy foods for a couple weeks before solids. At that point, I started on solids that I chewed to death before swallowing. I didn't add bread or solid meats for about 3 months. Even after 8 years, I still cut my meat into small pieces.

I'm unusual in that I never went off of the PPI's after surgery. My issues were on the extremely severe side though. Post-surgery, I had all of my medications made into compounds so they were liquid too. No way could I have swallowed any pills.

I will say that this surgery literally saved my life since the acid was irritating my lungs so badly. Looking back, I would have made the same surgical decision in a heartbeat.

Hope you feel better soon.

Last edited by MountainReader; 10-02-2016 at 10:47 PM.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:56 AM   #3
    BethMarie
    (female)

BethMarie HB User
    Re: Heartburn Days After Fundoplication Surgery

Thank you so much for your response! It has put my mind at ease quite a bit.

I have been following a liquid diet based on the information the hospital gave me. They provided me with a booklet of recommended and not recommended foods - liquid (soups, juices, milkshakes, smoothies) for the first one to two weeks, and soft foods for the next two to three weeks. They made me take my medication in normal pill form at the hospital to see if I had any issues with them. I didn't, so they felt my swallowing function was fine and sent me home less than 24 hours after the surgery and I have been taking my pills ever since (and some of them are quite large).

Today is the week-and-a-half mark for me and I had planned to try soft food (mashed potatoes) for supper, but maybe I will just stick with the soup until the actual two-week mark.

I am so glad that the surgery has helped you, and you don't regret it. I was feeling quite down when the reflux started back and thought maybe I shouldn't have gone through with the surgery. I will stay positive and count down these eight weeks. My surgeon told me to stay on all of my reflux meds for these eight weeks until everything has healed, so maybe it was because he anticipated some reflux symptoms.

Thanks again for your help!

Last edited by mod85; 10-04-2016 at 12:08 AM.

Reply Reply