It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Barrettes esophagus

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 10-11-2016, 05:44 PM   #1
    Lynnbash1
    (female)

Lynnbash1 HB User
    Barrettes esophagus

I hope someone can give me some insight. I was diagnosed with barrettes esophagus last summer. The doctor told me the I have tissue that looks like columns. He said that it is precancerous cells. He told me that he needed to follow up with me for the first year. I haven't been able to do much because, I'm disabled. I got a notice from my doctor telling me he needs to have me come in for an Endoscopy. I'm scared but, not really understanding much about it.

Last edited by Lynnbash1; 10-11-2016 at 05:46 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Lynnbash1:
    movielover40 (10-12-2016)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2016, 10:07 PM   #2
    suzyisdizzy
    (female)

suzyisdizzy HB User
    Re: Barrettes esophagus

Sending you prayers of strength

Old 10-12-2016, 04:05 AM   #3
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

An Endoscopy is necessary at this time. If you have precancerous cells in your esphogus, they can turn cancerous at any time and then spread to other areas.
    Barretts is a very common diagnosis and can be completely treated as long as you catch it in time. There is a procedure known as Halo; which is an ablation of the esophugus, removing all precancerous tissue. Your doctor is right to push you to come in now, before this spreads or becomes something much more serious.
    Please follow up!

Old 10-12-2016, 08:45 AM   #4
    movielover40
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

movielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB User

Agree with MSNik.

Old 10-31-2016, 05:13 PM   #5
    Lynnbash1
    (female)

Lynnbash1 HB User

Thank you so much for your information I wanted to let you know that I followed your advice and my procedure is next Tuesday on the 8th

Old 10-31-2016, 05:48 PM   #6
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Good luck with your EGD. I've had one every year or two for the past 10 years due to unusually severe GERD/LPR. 2.5 years ago, I was diagnosed with Barrett's both visually and via pictures from the scope. Last year, I went in and my EGD showed it had reversed itself.

I really support your need for the follow-up scope, but the news isn't always bad. Honestly, if there is something there, I'd rather want to know sooner rather than later so I could look at treatment options.

Old 10-31-2016, 06:05 PM   #7
    Lynnbash1
    (female)

Lynnbash1 HB User

It's nice to hear that it had reversed itself! That makes me feel a little better. When I read up on Barrettes esophagus I learned a lot. But, I read up on it again when I made my Endoscopy appointment because, I had forgotten what I had read. I got a little scared when it said that only 1% of Gerd patients end up with the precancerous cells. Throughout my mother's side of the family cancer has been an issue. So it took me back to when I was in the hospital and my gastroenterologist came in and told me about the cells. Ive dealt with Gerd since i was in my 20's. To this day I still have to take meds and sleep with my head raised. I have fought a lot of problems I have had to deal with Ulcers in my stomach but, even more lining my esophagus which was very painful. Some times I would rather not want to know.

Old 11-08-2016, 11:28 AM   #8
    Lynnbash1
    (female)

Lynnbash1 HB User

Good morning I just wanted to let you know I had my endoscopy this morning and it went pretty good. Only pain is where he took the biopsies and judging where it hurts he took quite a lot. He had to take several biopsies and won't know anything for a week. Glad it's over but, still very sleepy.

Old 11-08-2016, 05:38 PM   #9
    Lynnbash1
    (female)

Lynnbash1 HB User

Can anyone tell me what the doctor meant when he wrote after my endoscopy this morning. I was to sleepy to ask. He wrote "Esophageal mucosal changes suggests short-segment Barrett's esophagus"

Old 11-29-2016, 06:21 AM   #10
    Kayjay1
    (female)

Kayjay1 HB User

Hi, I hope you are doing well. I have my appt today with my GI Dr. I had two scopes the first one in Oct came back normal-that biopsy was on the Antrum. He wanted to recheck because he saw some damage and wanted me on 40mg omeprazole. Went in for recheck last Tuesday and he said it had repaired but he took a biopsy of the GE junction. Next day I got the call to come in. I'm nervous. I believe it is at least Barrett's not sure what else or how far along. I am 56 yo female and I have smoked on and off for years. I love my coffee more than cigs so that's hard, but you do what you have to and it's too late to wish I had done differently.

Please keep me posted. I find it hard to find any active forums anymore. They are all old and closed. While informative, it would be nice to chat with real people.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:48 AM   #11
    Lynnbash1
    (female)

Lynnbash1 HB User

When I was I had my endoscopy a few weeks ago I was scared. The precancerous cells I have are still there but, they are stable right now. I have smoked off and on and my caffeine is cokes. I hope that everything is ok. My doctor said it would be 7 to 10 days for the results and they called in 3. I was scared but, at this point I'm ok..

Old 11-29-2016, 08:00 AM   #12
    Kayjay1
    (female)

Kayjay1 HB User

Funny that he got the results and I got a call the next day! I thought that was very unusual which scares me even more.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:36 AM   #13
    Lynnbash1
    (female)

Lynnbash1 HB User

The only time I smoke now is when I'm on pain meds. I'm about to have my third back surgery in 2 years, second in 6 months. The need make me crave cigarette's so I try not to take them because, I can't breathe.

Old 11-30-2016, 03:43 AM   #14
    Kayjay1
    (female)

Kayjay1 HB User

Hi. I posted what my dr said in a new thread as I didn't want to hack yours.

I'm so sorry about the back surgeries. I can't imagine dealing with more than just this whole Barrett's thing.

Old 06-19-2018, 06:38 PM   #15
    bestoldies04
    (female)

bestoldies04 HB Userbestoldies04 HB User

Did anyone replying to this post have the Halo procedure done? My husband was recently diagnosed with Barretts Esophagus High Grade Dysplasia pre-cancerous. He is having the Halo procedure in July.

Reply Reply