It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• 24 Hour pH testing done incorrectly?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 12-05-2016, 02:40 PM   #1
    mkiki
    (female)

mkiki HB User
    24 Hour pH testing done incorrectly?

I recently had the 24 hour pH test for LPR (I haven't received the results yet), but afterwards I found out that you should have a double-probe; one in the esophagus and one in the throat. I only had a single-probe in the esophagus. So will this test come back negative then?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2016, 10:10 PM   #2
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
    Re: 24 Hour pH testing done incorrectly?

I have had this test done 5 times. It really depends on what the doctor was testing for. The single probe is done most frequently. It measures the acid coming up into the esophagus. The dual probe is usually done if you have throat/sinus issues and they want to check if the acid is making it up out of your esophagus past your upper esophageal sphincter.

Did you have a Manometry? That usually needs to be done first so they can measure where the probe should be placed.

From conversations with the tech during one of my insertions, the main thing that could cause incorrect results is if the probe kinks when it is inserted. I had that problem once, but I knew immediately because I was seriously retching. They re-inserted the probe and all was well after that.

Your test will still reflect if you have acid coming up into your esophagus. If your doctor still feels that you need the upper probe, there is a great test for that with a probe that is only inserted to where your uvula is...I could see the blinking light on the end when I opened my mouth wide. It is a much easier test. If you want to see an example of one, Restech is company that made the one my doctor used. It is unique because it measures gaseous acid that other probes often miss.

Reply Reply