It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Really worried. Have a feeling this is not normal. Please help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-09-2017, 01:31 PM   #1
    rachl13
    (female)

rachl13 HB User
    Really worried. Have a feeling this is not normal. Please help!

Hi all,

I have acid reflux and I had something very serious happen today. I used to be taking omeprazole for my acid reflux, but I started to take the acid reducer that you can get at Costco in bulk. This has been working great for me. I take it before I have food so this is usually being taken twice a day.

Well, I started an interning position at the animal clinic position this morning for work experience through my college. Everything was going great. I was having a good experience so far and then suddenly, I started to get a lot of INTENSE burning in my stomach. I ignored though as I figure I could survive another hour or so without lunch.

Well, eventually, I started getting really hot and sweaty. Then I started to get spots in my vision and felt extremely nauseous. I told the woman at the animal clinic I need to sit down. She agreed because she was concerned even and said I look really pale. She was right. I looked at myself in the mirror nearby and I was pale and my lips were colorless just about.

So, I ended up going home because I felt so terrible and will have to make up some of my hours for the work experience. I'm entirely bummed about this, but even more concerned about why this happened. The only thing I can think of is that yesterday, I wasn't very hungry because of my nerves to start the work experience. So,I took an acid reducer, but barely ate anything except some potatoes. Then I never remembered to take the next acid reducer I should have taken before my meal of the night. I had some spaghetti with sauce.

Before I had left this morning for the animal clinic, I had a bowl of cereal and took my acid reducer before this. So, does anyone think this is normal just because I forgot a pill? I am positive there was nothing shocking at the clinic that made me do this. I felt fine from everything I dealt with.

Any advice will really help!

The following user gives a hug of support to rachl13:
    movielover40 (01-18-2017)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2017, 06:41 PM   #2
    52ken
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User
    Re: Really worried. Have a feeling this is not normal. Please help!

It really does sound like stress!!! Whenever I try to be extra careful so not to get sick because of a special event, it backfires on me. Stress to a new work environment can be stressful which affects your stomach acid. Hopefully when you get settled in so will the acid reflux. To be safe, you could go see a doctor to make sure.

Old 01-09-2017, 06:57 PM   #3
    Namaste902
    (female)

Namaste902 HB User

My questions is are you on a daily regimen of an acid reducer or were you taking it as a needed on your own?

Last edited by Administrator; 04-26-2018 at 04:36 PM.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:01 PM   #4
    Namaste902
    (female)

Namaste902 HB User

I do not think it has anything to do with the acid reducer. You took one this morning and so therefore, you blocked your stomach from producing any gastric secretions. Typically people taking these would be for GERD or an ulcer flare up, which is why I asked why were you taking it and are you on a daily regimen recommended by a doctor, however. I do not think it has anything to do with it's the acid reducer!

Last edited by Administrator; 04-26-2018 at 04:36 PM.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:33 PM   #5
    Osnapman
    (male)

Osnapman HB User

This doesn't sound like it has much to do with the acid reducer, but sounds like stress/panic attack. I get them all the time and your symptoms are nearly the same as mine. That's just my opinion, keep an eye on other anxiety like symptoms.

Old 01-28-2017, 12:30 AM   #6
    rachl13
    (female)

rachl13 HB User

Hi all,

Sorry that I have not been back on here in quite some time after my last post. I read all your replies and appreciate the feedback.

I have figured out what was causing this and it has nothing to do with acid reflux or stress. I went back to this place a few times to job shadow and realized that this reaction would happen every time I would enter the lab part of the clinic especially.

I cannot take the smells and unfortunately, I have figured out that this profession is not for me so I have had to make some changes to my college major. I am saddened about this, but what can you do I guess? I am glad that I have another profession that I will be going for with my new college major, but still. It sucks.

Old 01-31-2017, 03:00 AM   #7
    SDR25
    (female)

SDR25 HB User

Same thing happened to me my first day or my first job ever. In my case I ended up vomiting a huge amount of bile acid and I felt relief after and stuck with working that day.
    That sort or cold sweat and paleness sometimes happens to me and I've learn I either vomit or I pass out, so now I make a 'mind over matter' effort not to pass out and I vomit.

I strongly advise against milk in the morning (and lactose at all) if you have GERD. Our stomachs might ferment the milk due to the amount or acid inside. You might have to change your breakfast habits.
    The meds help but are not a cure. Even taking the meds you will have episodes, either due to stress or food you ate.

Closed Thread

Tags
    acid reflux, light headedness, nausea, scared, sweating