It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Hitial Hernia and acid reflux

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-11-2017, 07:36 PM   #1
    Jtucci01
    (female)

Jtucci01 HB User
    Hitial Hernia and acid reflux

I have just been diagnosed with acid reflux after going to the er thinking I was having a heart attack. The heart attack thing happend two weeks ago and it's been hell ever since. Two months ago I went to the er with severe bloating in the upper right abdomen and pain. They couldn't find out what was wrong with me. So they had my doctor refer to a gi and told me I have a hatial hernia. So fast forward two months later. I keep having pain in my chest and I have to sleep propped up on my left side ,because if I sleep propped up on my back. I feel stomach acid coming up my esophagus and it feels like it's spreading to my chest and arms. Sleeping on my side is giving my dead arm and pinched nerves because I can't sleep normal. I keep waking up with pain in my chest but I was told it was from acid reflux. My life has been hell for the last couple of weeks. It feels like something is stuck in the right side of my throat. When I eat it feels hard to swallow. My diet has become very bland and I can only eat very little bites. I can't eat after 6pm. I was prescribed omeprazole. I have been taking that and anxiety meds (lorazepam). For a week because all of this has caused severve anxiety. Now my tongue is white and I have had yellow diarrhea ever since I started taking the meds. I don't know if it could be from the meds. So I am freaking out.

Last edited by Jtucci01; 02-11-2017 at 10:37 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Jtucci01:
    movielover40 (02-15-2017)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2017, 09:31 PM   #2
    jw994
    (female)

jw994 HB Userjw994 HB Userjw994 HB Userjw994 HB Userjw994 HB User
    Re: Hitial Hernia and acid reflux

I am so sorry about your current situation. I have experienced many of the same symptoms that you are dealing with so I will share what I did. First, I think you are in a flare that hopefully will get better with some trial and error. If you have not seen a gastroenterologist yet, I would recommend you consider an upper endoscopy to determine what is going on with the hernia.

The following things I found helpful:
    Purchased Dropping Acid book to start on induction diet for 2 weeks. I do not consume any food with a ph less than 5. After 2 weeks, I could eat some foods with a ph of 4.
    I ate a lot of vegetables except tomatoes, peppers, and onions. I only ate fresh or frozen vegetables because canned ones have citric acid added. I consumed very little fruit except cantalope and watermelon. While apples and bananas have a higher ph, some people still reflux with these. I ate chicken and some baked fish..no beef. I did not eat fried food, citrus, avoided alcohol, soft drinks, chocolate, and anything spicy. I ate oatmeal, jasmine rice, breads and crackers. I never eat within 3-4 hours of going to bed. I also have read research that alkaline water neutralizes pepsin which causes the damage in reflux. I drink some everytime I think I reflux even in the middle of the night. I also drip some in my nose if i think I have gotten some pepsin in my sinuses. Regular water has a ph of 7 and I drink Evamor with a ph of 8.8.

I have elevated my headboard about 6 inches with blocks. Propping with pillows did not work as well. I sleep on my left side because sleeping on the right side encourages reflux with the way the stomach is positioned in the body.

I took a ppi like Nexium in the morning about 30 minutes before breakfast and raniditine when I went to bed. I also took a prescription Carafate Suspension to help my esophagus heal.

I also at one time had a white coating on my tongue and I had to be treated for thrush or a yeast infection. I really limit my sugar intake. Reflux can cause this too.

I also chewed sugarless gum and drank a lot of water or camomile tea.

There are other natural remedies which you can try, but I would try these suggestions for at least a few weeks first.

I know most of what I have included sounds past tense because I use practically no medicine for reflux now. I ended up having a large paraesophageal hernia and I had it repaired surgically with a Nissen fundoplication. I still eat a very limited diet, my headboard is elevated and I keep alkaline water available all the times. I also keep Gaviscon Advance to take before bedtime if I have eaten something like spaghetti. This medicine forms a barrier in the stomach to prevent reflux from coming up through the LES.

Lastly, I tried to take walks and did deep breathing to try to relieve anxiety.

Hopefully, you will feel better soon. I have found that I can still get into flares occasionally, but if I follow the above suggestions, I always get better in a few days.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:47 PM   #3
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Have you been to see a Gastroenterologist yet?

Old 02-14-2017, 04:49 PM   #4
    Jtucci01
    (female)

Jtucci01 HB User

Yes. I had a consultation yesterday. I have a endoscopy, colonoscopy, and a ct scan scheduled in the next few weeks. I hope I get answers.

Old 02-14-2017, 04:51 PM   #5
    Jtucci01
    (female)

Jtucci01 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jw994 View Post
    I am so sorry about your current situation. I have experienced many of the same symptoms that you are dealing with so I will share what I did. First, I think you are in a flare that hopefully will get better with some trial and error. If you have not seen a gastroenterologist yet, I would recommend you consider an upper endoscopy to determine what is going on with the hernia.

The following things I found helpful:
    Purchased Dropping Acid book to start on induction diet for 2 weeks. I do not consume any food with a ph less than 5. After 2 weeks, I could eat some foods with a ph of 4.
    I ate a lot of vegetables except tomatoes, peppers, and onions. I only ate fresh or frozen vegetables because canned ones have citric acid added. I consumed very little fruit except cantalope and watermelon. While apples and bananas have a higher ph, some people still reflux with these. I ate chicken and some baked fish..no beef. I did not eat fried food, citrus, avoided alcohol, soft drinks, chocolate, and anything spicy. I ate oatmeal, jasmine rice, breads and crackers. I never eat within 3-4 hours of going to bed. I also have read research that alkaline water neutralizes pepsin which causes the damage in reflux. I drink some everytime I think I reflux even in the middle of the night. I also drip some in my nose if i think I have gotten some pepsin in my sinuses. Regular water has a ph of 7 and I drink Evamor with a ph of 8.8.

I have elevated my headboard about 6 inches with blocks. Propping with pillows did not work as well. I sleep on my left side because sleeping on the right side encourages reflux with the way the stomach is positioned in the body.

I took a ppi like Nexium in the morning about 30 minutes before breakfast and raniditine when I went to bed. I also took a prescription Carafate Suspension to help my esophagus heal.

I also at one time had a white coating on my tongue and I had to be treated for thrush or a yeast infection. I really limit my sugar intake. Reflux can cause this too.

I also chewed sugarless gum and drank a lot of water or camomile tea.

There are other natural remedies which you can try, but I would try these suggestions for at least a few weeks first.

I know most of what I have included sounds past tense because I use practically no medicine for reflux now. I ended up having a large paraesophageal hernia and I had it repaired surgically with a Nissen fundoplication. I still eat a very limited diet, my headboard is elevated and I keep alkaline water available all the times. I also keep Gaviscon Advance to take before bedtime if I have eaten something like spaghetti. This medicine forms a barrier in the stomach to prevent reflux from coming up through the LES.

Lastly, I tried to take walks and did deep breathing to try to relieve anxiety.

Hopefully, you will feel better soon. I have found that I can still get into flares occasionally, but if I follow the above suggestions, I always get better in a few days.
    Thank you

Closed Thread