It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• LPR/GERD? Bad mouth symptoms

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-17-2017, 08:42 AM   #1
    Iomesz
    (female)

Iomesz HB User
    Unhappy LPR/GERD? Bad mouth symptoms

For the past 4-5 years on and off I've had these flareups of what I believed were acid reflux/gerd symptoms. The first time it came on it was horrible and lasted 2-3 months with intense pain that only went away after I had an endoscopy and a stricture was dilated and after being on a high dose of PPIs for all of those months. I was also diagnosed at the time with a hiatal hernia and gastritis and esophagitis. My symptoms went away after the endoscopy and i quit the PPIs almost cold turkey with no problems. A year and half or so passed and I was having similar issues altho not as badly. I ended up having another endoscopy wherein they said I had no hiatial hernia anymore (??) and only a mild case of gastritis and a few polyps they removed. The same thing kind of happened afterward, my symptoms got better and I stopped PPIs.

Another year and half or so has passed and I'm having horrible symptoms again yet this time its a bit different. Before my symptoms were major dyspepsia and the feeling of something stuck in my throat constantly. I was swallowing constantly and had major aching throat pain and stomach pain. My symptoms now are... I have a constant sore throat (feels like strep or something) and I have the constant feeling of liquid in the back of my throat. Constant belching and now my mouth is just wrecked. I woke up one morning and my tongue and the sides of my mouth and inside my lip were covered in ulcers and it was very painful as if I had been sucking on 50 warheads in my sleep. I've been on OTC nexium 20mg twice a day and its cut the acid but the reflux is constant. Its merely uncomfortable throughout the day now but at night I can feel it sloshing into the bottom of my throat. It isn't as burning and immediately painful but I get this weird sensation like a noxious gas is escaping and my ears will start hurting and my nose will start running and my tongue will start burning. I don't feel like the reflux liquid is making it that far up my throat, but when I wake up in the morning my mouth is just wrecked and my throat is a bit sore.

I'm trying to get referred to a GI but being on medicaid makes things very slow and tricky and I'm just wondering if this is classic GERD or maybe LPR or something? I've never experienced all these symptoms with my mouth before and what feels like just noxious gas flowing up into my sinuses. Can PPIs even help with these symptoms? The acid is reduced but the reflux is still happening as far as I can tell and the symptoms with my mouth are making it very hard for me to eat or drink anything of substance.

The following user gives a hug of support to Iomesz:
    movielover40 (03-17-2017)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2017, 12:30 PM   #2
    movielover40
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

movielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB User
    Re: LPR/GERD? Bad mouth symptoms

Sounds like you need another endoscopy.

If your LES isn't closing properly you will always have the reflux.

Did you lose weight for your hiatal to go away?

Best of luck to you.

The Following User Says Thank You to movielover40 For This Useful Post:
    Iomesz (03-17-2017)
    Old 03-17-2017, 12:50 PM   #3
    Iomesz
    (female)

Iomesz HB User
    Re: LPR/GERD? Bad mouth symptoms

Quote:
    Originally Posted by movielover40 View Post
    Sounds like you need another endoscopy.

If your LES isn't closing properly you will always have the reflux.

Did you lose weight for your hiatal to go away?

Best of luck to you.

At the time of my second endoscopy I don't believe I had lost any weight, so I'm not sure why they said they didn't see one. I've been obese most of my life but recently I've been dealing with spine issues so I've had to lose about 50lbs in preparation for surgery at some point. (20 more lbs to go on that front)

Which is a bit why I'm confused my reflux symptoms have resurfaced now that I'm at a lower weight than I've been at for years. The last two endoscopies I've had, there was never a mention of my LES function and I've not had any other tests done for reflux aside from the endoscopies. I was more or less just given PPI's and because my symptoms relieved themselves within several months to where I was able to get off PPIs completely both times I never really pushed the issue.

I might have to press for more tests to figure out the actual cause this time as my diet is extremely clean and has been for months and I can't really point out what's triggered the reflux this time but its unrelenting and painful and the mouth symptoms are the worst I've had to deal with so far.

Last edited by Iomesz; 03-17-2017 at 12:54 PM.

Closed Thread