It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

Incredibly slow digestion

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-21-2017, 03:10 PM   #1
MarcBrolin
(male)

MarcBrolin HB User
Incredibly slow digestion

Hi, I have been suffering with LPR for almost an year now. I have always been a very active person, running marathons and everything, but in the last two years I've started working at home and consequently gaining weight, also using the iPad to work while laying down the whole afternoon, and my symptoms began at some point after that. Firstly, just clearing the throat several times a day, then a lot of coughing and difficulty swallowing food/water. The worst of them all being coughing, I even went to the hospital emergency because I just couldn't breath, and there they found a 'tracheitis'.

My diagnostic of LPR was very difficult, not many doctors knew what I had, and since my symptoms are basically a lot of coughing, a lot of mucus in the throat, and no heartburn or any GERD related symptom, they had imagined several diseases other than reflux, most of them in the lungs. Then I went to the best hospital in my country, and the doctor told me that my lungs' exams were just fantastic, that it's rare to see lungs in such great state, and said that I had all the classic symptoms of LPR. Thus, I finally had my diagnostic after so many months. He told me to take PPI and change my habits drastically.

And I did, I lost all the weight I have gained, and I spend the whole day lifting while working from home (my symptoms only get bad after 5PM), I have been running 5K every day in the morning, taking gaviscon after every meal and taking PPI for one month now, but the thing is: I'm 31, very fit now, taking all medications I believe should help me, but I just can't get cured. What brings me to my ultimate symptom, what probably has been causing everything: a very slow digestion.

I lunch at 1PM, a small portion, and at 7PM I'm still belching the lunch!!! This can't be normal.

What's kind of funny is that my symptoms have a time to worsen: 5PM. Then they get very bad until 10PM, then they start to slowly improve, and I wake up in the morning almost fine. I believe it has something to do with the time of my lunch. And I never have dinner because it's very hard to swallow food at night.

What should I do to speed up my digestion?

Thanks!

Last edited by MarcBrolin; 03-21-2017 at 03:16 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to MarcBrolin:
movielover40 (03-22-2017)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2017, 01:33 PM   #2
movielover40
Senior Veteran
(male)

movielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB User
Re: Incredibly slow digestion

You should see a GI doctor and have Gastric Emptying test done to see how fast food flows your system.

It's painless you eat some eggs and they take some xrays every 1/2 hour or so and watch it go thru your system. Takes about 2 hours total. This will tell you a lot about your digestive system.

Best of luck to you.

Old 03-22-2017, 02:28 PM   #3
MarcBrolin
(male)

MarcBrolin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by movielover40 View Post
You should see a GI doctor and have Gastric Emptying test done to see how fast food flows your system.

It's painless you eat some eggs and they take some xrays every 1/2 hour or so and watch it go thru your system. Takes about 2 hours total. This will tell you a lot about your digestive system.

Best of luck to you.
I actually have a prescription to do a similar test with the one you`ve described from the doctor (pneumologist) that said that my lungs are ok on my desk. But I still haven`t do it. I should do it.

Anyway, after a lot of research, I`ve found that a drug called Motilium (Domperidone) improves my symptoms of slow digestion.

Thanks for the reply and support, movielover40.

Old 09-16-2017, 05:58 AM   #4
mtfksb
(female)

mtfksb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcBrolin View Post
I actually have a prescription to do a similar test with the one you`ve described from the doctor (pneumologist) that said that my lungs are ok on my desk. But I still haven`t do it. I should do it.

Anyway, after a lot of research, I`ve found that a drug called Motilium (Domperidone) improves my symptoms of slow digestion.

Thanks for the reply and support, movielover40.

Old 09-16-2017, 06:01 AM   #5
mtfksb
(female)

mtfksb HB User

Hello I used to have slow digestion along with Gerd. I used Domperidone and had alot of trouble getting it. My Gerd is much worse and the PPIs are not working. I read the the Domperidone night help. Are you able to get it in the US? Thanks

Old 10-18-2017, 08:15 AM   #6
luisito
(male)

luisito HB User
Unhappy Re: Incredibly slow digestion

I also use Motilium. Sometimes. Take care that's a drug NOT INTENDED for prolonged use.

I have motility issues and slow digestion. I'm also trying to dissociate: no fruits, proteins alone (or with veggies) as to make things easier to my stomach.

And: small portions, not a lot of water.

And: no alcohol.

Let's see how it develops, at the moment I'm trying to do lifestyle changes as the GERD was compromising lungs & throat.

Reply Reply