It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Safe dose for Nexium?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-25-2017, 10:23 PM   #1
    Mawsky
    (female)

Mawsky HB User
    Safe dose for Nexium?

I saw an ENT, for related issues with reflux, he did a scope and said the back of my vocal cords were deep red, obviously caused by sever Gerd. He prescribed Nexium 40 mg twice a day. This concerns me taking 80mg daily. Is anyone taking it 2x day? He wants to see me in 6 weeks, I'm a bit concerned taking it like that for so long.

The following user gives a hug of support to Mawsky:
    movielover40 (03-28-2017)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2017, 04:20 AM   #2
    boobootwo
    (female)

boobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB User
    Re: Safe dose for Nexium?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mawsky View Post
    I saw an ENT, for related issues with reflux, he did a scope and said the back of my vocal cords were deep red, obviously caused by sever Gerd. He prescribed Nexium 40 mg twice a day. This concerns me taking 80mg daily. Is anyone taking it 2x day? He wants to see me in 6 weeks, I'm a bit concerned taking it like that for so long.
    I wouldn't worry about taking it twice a day unless you find it bothers you. I've had to double up on my and they are slow release 60mg. My mother had to double her's up too as she was having stress issues due to her brother dying. It's not uncommon for doctors to double them especially if your reflux and esophagus is inflamed. Nexum and drugs like that actually heal the stomach layer. It's when people are on them long term like me that they get concerned about the kidneys. Mine are still fine so far and I've been taking them about 8 years now.

Old 03-26-2017, 07:52 PM   #3
    Mawsky
    (female)

Mawsky HB User

Thank you so much for responding to me, I obviously need to see GI doc, because at times (like right now) I have a lot of chest and some upper back pain, when this is going on I'm burping constantly. I was concerned about the Nexium dose and those scary commercials that talk about kidney issues. Thank you for putting my mind to rest on this

Old 03-27-2017, 10:00 PM   #4
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Typicallly the twice a day dosage is most effective for LPR reflux like yours. I think the greatest concern is with long-term side effects. Hopefully you can gain some control and not need to stay on that level for long-term.

That said, some of us take longer to heal than others. Also, I have been on many of the PPI's out there and found some to have side effects while others didn't. You will need to see what works best for you.

Old 03-30-2017, 12:11 AM   #5
    Mawsky
    (female)

Mawsky HB User

I feeling very reassured now about the dose. The dr I saw said it will take two weeks before I notice a difference, I still get a bit freaked out over my symptoms. I even have a swollen gland in my neck, the ENT said it was my salivary gland, and he wasn't tooo concerned about it, but still it crosses my mind every now and then that it could be cancer, trying really hard to not do that, but I think I was feeling it was something ominous for so long it's hard to forget that. Thank you for your advice about the ppi's I took a couple of different ones many years ago and one of them made my heart pound so bad it would wake me up, don't remember which one. I don't have any side effects from Nexium

Closed Thread