It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Young healthy male with past throat clearing and currently a cough

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-06-2017, 07:30 AM   #1
    civie1993
    (male)

civie1993 HB User
    Young healthy male with past throat clearing and currently a cough

I am a 23yo male, in very good shape. I have a fairly healthy and balanced diet. In the fall of 2015, I had a nasty cough for about 2 months, and when that went away, I had throat clearing for a year and a half after that. It got better in the summer which I attributed to having less anxiety. I figured it was silent reflux, but also discovered that it could be that my vagal nerve never healed. I tried PPIs for about a two month period, but I didn't see any noticeable change from that.

Finally, about three weeks ago, I decided to go back to the ENT. He ordered a CT for my sinuses (deviated septum on left nostril) and a barium swallow, which is tomorrow. However, a week and a half ago, I developed a pretty nasty cough, a congested/runny nose, and I felt pretty under the weather for a few days. The cough stuck around although it has gotten better, and the congestion is starting to feel better. The cough is productive in sound, but it isn't producing much mucus, just a little here and there when I cough hard.

The throat clearing meanwhile has totally gone away since the cough started. While the throat clearing seemed related to eating, the cough doesn't. I have a productive cough when I wake up in the morning, and it doesn't change much after I eat. My nose still gets congested at times when I eat however. It also gets congested and really stuffy when I brush my teeth in the morning and at night.

Another strange thing I've noticed while I have the cough is that when I workout everyday, I wheeze very noticeably. I feel it in the upper left side of my chest by my collarbone.

I should add that when I had the throat clearing, I never had any other symptoms besides a single cough after a meal to clear mucus. Never had hoarseness, throat pain, or a chronic cough.

I'm hoping I can get all of this figured out with my ENT, but for now, any suggestions?

The following user gives a hug of support to civie1993:
    movielover40 (04-06-2017)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2017, 04:21 PM   #2
    Leo255
    (male)

Leo255 HB UserLeo255 HB UserLeo255 HB User
    Re: Young healthy male with past throat clearing and currently a cough

It's not impossible that you have reflux, but to me, it seems like some kind of nasal condition (i.e. post-nasal drip). Do you feel short of breath when you wheeze, or is it just the sound you notice? Could also be exercise-induced asthma. Maybe try to cut dairy for a few days, and see if that helps the throat clearing. You're doing the right tests.

Closed Thread

Tags
    cough, coughing, male, silent reflux, young