It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• 10 days post nissen fundoplication

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-10-2017, 12:15 PM   #1
    Nickian7903
    (female)

Nickian7903 HB User
    10 days post nissen fundoplication

Just looking for some reassurance. I had nissen fundoplication 10 days ago due to severe regurgitation indigestion chest pains and the gerd severely affecting my vocal cords.
    I am really struggling with pain. The surgicL pain is fine its the wind pain that hurts and no pain medication helps to ease the wind pains in my shoulders and between my shoulder blades.
    I have started to drink slowly. Eat slowly. Ive cut out foods that cause gas. Switched to lactofree milk and drinking plenty peppermint tea. And taking pepermint capsules.
    I have just tried some really sloppy mash with gravy and my chest hurts like hell.
    I am so scared of doing anything to cause the wrap to undo.
    What am i doing wrong.
    Thanks in advance

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2017, 08:56 PM   #2
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
    Re: 10 days post nissen fundoplication

I am almost 9 years post NF. It does get better.

The gas issue is tough. With the wrap in place, and swelling from the surgery, the gas can't make it up the normal way. They use the gas to help them access and see the surgical area and shoulder pain is common from that. It does dissipate, but can take some time. It is an unpleasant experience when it happens. If you have used them, you might avoid straws when drinking.

Each surgeon has their own recommendations post surgery. I was on a clear liquid diet for the first week. I was on a general liquid diet the second week. I even had all meds compounded into liquids. My surgeon told me I couldn't even do smoothies with strawberries because of the seeds.... liquids only. When I started on the soft foods, it was the really mushy stuff that I found easier on the gut. I avoided higher fat stuff for a while. As you add food in, make sure you eat small bites and chew the heck out of it. You need to break the food down well enough to get past the wrap. I avoided solid meats and bread for several months because they don't break down well when chewed.

I had some post-surgery pain and my GI doc told me my stomach was 'angry' at me because of the trauma I was putting it through and that it takes about 8 weeks for swelling to fully subside from the stomach. It is tough to hear, but give it time.

Have you been staying hydrated? It does help with healing.

I stayed away from dairy at the time of my wrap so I can't comment on the dairy impact. There are a lot of other milk choices now so you could try one of them to see if it makes a different. Tea isn't good for GERD so I was also avoiding that at the time as well and can't comment on it either. I did use some of those things you pour into water that had extra protein. You could try some of the newer protein shakes to help keep your strength up.

Have you been walking around. While it hurt and I was slow, I found walking helped. I would take trips to places just to walk around. It could possibly help with some of the gas dissipation.

As for undoing the fundoplication, I haven't had problems with that. I did have a scare about a year out when I had some violent vomiting from a bad stomach bug. It didn't mess with the wrap though. They did some testing to check afterwards.

Good luck with your healing.

Closed Thread