It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

Acid reflux/Anxiety attacks/Palpitations

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-21-2017, 01:45 PM   #1
blackeagle19
(male)

blackeagle19 HB User
Acid reflux/Anxiety attacks/Palpitations

Hello,

I'm 20 yr old male.

My story began when I started getting trouble with the sciatica nerve due to a muscle problem from training in the gym. My doc prescribed me Naproxen 500mg twice a day for 2 weeks.

One day I took Naproxen 500mg in combination with Ipren 400mg and started to get Nausea, Heart palpitations and shortness of breath. I started to panic and got very afraid I was going to die, I didn't know that you couldn't combine the two. From that day I stopped taking Naproxen, thinking that Naproxen could make things more worse than how they are now.

I went to the doc again and got prescribed omeprazole 20mg for 2-3 weeks.

While taking omeprazole I developed frequent palpitations/nausea, but the heartburn and the fullness in my stomach got less severe so that's good I thought.

But after taking the tablets for 2 weeks and 4 days I started to get heart palpitation 1-2 minutes after taking Omeprazole, and I started to get warm and nausea kicked in. Somehow I were not able to relax to calm down the heart palpitation, my heart kept beating fast on and on for several hours. It was like a heart arrhythmia, I went to my window to take a deep breath and it helped a little but I had such a strong anxiety attack which lead me into thinking about nothing else than the heart palpitation. I could even feel tremors in my hand.

From that day my family recommended me to stay off the Omeprazole because I was afraid I could get a cardiac arrest or something. I don't know what problem I could possibly have, I can't even keep a straight posture because of my stomach because I can feel how sensitive my stomach is, therefore I keep a forward head even though I know it shouldn't be like that. I don't know if the chiropractor caused that when he cracked my mid-upper back due to the sciatica 2-3 weeks ago.

What do you recommend that I do? What alternatives do I have?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2017, 04:53 AM   #2
asgif
(male)

asgif HB User
Re: Acid reflux/Anxiety attacks/Palpitations

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackeagle19 View Post
Hello,

I'm 20 yr old male.

My story began when I started getting trouble with the sciatica nerve due to a muscle problem from training in the gym. My doc prescribed me Naproxen 500mg twice a day for 2 weeks.

One day I took Naproxen 500mg in combination with Ipren 400mg and started to get Nausea, Heart palpitations and shortness of breath. I started to panic and got very afraid I was going to die, I didn't know that you couldn't combine the two. From that day I stopped taking Naproxen, thinking that Naproxen could make things more worse than how they are now.

I went to the doc again and got prescribed omeprazole 20mg for 2-3 weeks.

While taking omeprazole I developed frequent palpitations/nausea, but the heartburn and the fullness in my stomach got less severe so that's good I thought.

But after taking the tablets for 2 weeks and 4 days I started to get heart palpitation 1-2 minutes after taking Omeprazole, and I started to get warm and nausea kicked in. Somehow I were not able to relax to calm down the heart palpitation, my heart kept beating fast on and on for several hours. It was like a heart arrhythmia, I went to my window to take a deep breath and it helped a little but I had such a strong anxiety attack which lead me into thinking about nothing else than the heart palpitation. I could even feel tremors in my hand.

From that day my family recommended me to stay off the Omeprazole because I was afraid I could get a cardiac arrest or something. I don't know what problem I could possibly have, I can't even keep a straight posture because of my stomach because I can feel how sensitive my stomach is, therefore I keep a forward head even though I know it shouldn't be like that. I don't know if the chiropractor caused that when he cracked my mid-upper back due to the sciatica 2-3 weeks ago.

What do you recommend that I do? What alternatives do I have?
Hi...
Hope this can help for a little, have you check your symptoms to GI doctor? Acid reflux becomes 10x worse if you had panic attack, when that happen try to control your breath and lie down, inhale through nose use your diarhgam hold count to 3 and exhale through your mouth slowly, do it for 3-5 min. Omeprazole is good for short term relief but it does not heal the illness, it can be from any parts of your stomach, better you see your GI doctor and do endoscopy to make sure. Search for magnesium supplement, i heard some people cured from gerd for years by consuming it, me myself also gonna try that magnesium.. ive been suffering from gerd and axiety for 2 years now. Hope u well soon

Old 08-23-2017, 08:14 AM   #3
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User

Dear blackeagle,

What you need to do most is slow down and BREATHE, slowly and deliberately. Letting yourself get worked up over these things is what is making you all tensed up and that is what is scaring you.

Nerves are what tell us we over did something. You overworked or over stretched something in your body and had pain. The nerve tells us to back off or change what we are doing. The nerve itself is doing it's job. It's nothing to be afraid of. It is not life threatening to be short of breath or have a pounding heart. You won't die from it. it is not a heart attack.

It is more like a mind attack...you worked your thoughts up into a frenzy. So, breathe slow and deep, slow and deep. The more you make yourself relax the sooner you will feel better. Then you can focus on researching self-help for relieving sciatic nerve pain.

Yes, you can make yourself relax. I have and almost everyone I know has had sciatic nerve pain. A pinched nerve can feel like fire and sure can be alarming. It is most often from over-doing or stretching the wrong way. It's very painful, but pain in itself is not dangerous. If you broke your back, that would be serious. But there is nothing you wrote that resembles anything dangerous...except the drugs you took. And it might take awhile for the effects of the drugs to wear off. All you can do about that is drink plenty of water and wait for the drugs to wear off, and you will be fine.

For sciatic nerve pain if you are basically healthy you can get some over the counter pain med like Motrin (ibuprofen), take it only exactly like the directions say, rest until the nerve feels better, then get to the gym and learn how to correctly move and do your stretches. My daughter just went through this, and her sciatic pain came from years of sitting incorrectly at work. She did take something for pain but only for awhile.

For excess stomach acid take over the counter Pepto Bismol, and always follow directions! When we overdo anything we can expect discomfort for awhile. Drugs, esp. prescription drugs can cause us trouble because they always have side effects, sometimes severe side effects. Fear upsets digestion and causes excess stomach acid. Some drugs also upset the stomach. We don't have to be afraid; we must learn for ourselves what we are doing to ourselves, and make our own decisions. This is a hard lesson to learn.

Simply having pain doesn't require a prescription drug. Perhaps you only needed to ice and rest your injury then been careful how you do your work outs and have been just fine. The problem we get is in not understanding when we need a doctor. If something was not broken drugs only cause more problems, because they have very serious side effects. Drugs in themselves do not have healing power. The body already knows how to heal itself. Our problem is in the fact that we don't want to slow down, take a break or relax and let the body recover. So we take some meds and then we have to deal with the side effects.

Very rarely can we rely on any doctor to tell us that we need to endure the discomfort for awhile and wait a symptom out until it subsides. Like sciatic nerve pain. We need to do stretches and possibly get a massage and maybe take a long hot bath and get back in shape. It does not require a pain medication at all. I have had it several times. I know how it feels, and it hurts a lot. But throwing a drug at it does not fix it. There is all sorts of info out there how to treat sciatic nerve pain.

You can go to drugs.com to read known side effects. Some side effects are worse than our injury. Some drugs need to be weaned off of slowly and not stopped suddenly. I appreciate doctors, I really do, but often they have no idea or else just don't care what drugs really do. Sales people tell them about drugs and they prescribe them, often inappropriately, whether or not they would use them themselves.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Administrator; 08-31-2017 at 02:19 PM.

Old 08-31-2017, 02:09 PM   #4
cru028
(male)

cru028 HB User

Naproxen is really hard on your stomach. Its also hard on your liver. I have anxiety too... sometimes really bad. The thing with anxiety is it will make symptoms worse, sometimes much worse because your mind is fixated on it and worst case scenario's play over and over in your mind.

There is no cure for anxiety, and instead you have to have a healthier relationship with it. I would see a massage therapist once a month, do some stretches, and stay away from dead lifts and all of that and it will get better. Being a hockey player I would get back cramps that would basically seize up my left leg. It was terrible pain. Started doing lower back stretches, saw a message therapist once a month and it cured me.

Last edited by Administrator; 08-31-2017 at 02:22 PM.

Reply Reply