It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Trying to understand my EGD results

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-30-2017, 08:50 AM   #1
    lulalady
    (female)

lulalady HB User
    Question Trying to understand my EGD results

I recently underwent a GI series and an EGD because drs thought that my stomach pouches (I had a gastric bypass in 2003) had reconnected causing severe heartburn and GERD. Well I do know they found that is not the case this is what they did find:
    EG Junction: Sliding Hiatal Hernia with large defect
    Cardia: Large Hiatal hernia Defect
    Fundus: Very large pouch - anterior Anastmosis.

Notes: This anastomosis is causing mechanical obstruction

Upper GI Impression: gastric bypass with no evidence of obstruction or dilation of the gastric segment. Mild fold thickening proximal small bowl beyond the anastomosis possibly related to some jejunitis

Small Bowl: there is gastrojejunostomy to the stomach, some mild diffuse fold thickening in the proximal jejunum. Note is made the one hour film shows some contract refluxing back into the duodenal loop and afferent limb.
    IMPRSSION: mild fold thickening proximal small bowel just beyond the gastric anastomsis.

These tests were preformed by a bariatric surgeon but because of insurance he cannot do the hernia repair he wants and these were sent to my PC and she was just a confused as me and referred me to a general surgeon who cannot get me in for a month.

Thank you for your input.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2017, 01:55 PM   #2
    cru028
    (male)

cru028 HB User
    Re: Trying to understand my EGD results

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lulalady View Post
    I recently underwent a GI series and an EGD because drs thought that my stomach pouches (I had a gastric bypass in 2003) had reconnected causing severe heartburn and GERD. Well I do know they found that is not the case this is what they did find:
    EG Junction: Sliding Hiatal Hernia with large defect
    Cardia: Large Hiatal hernia Defect
    Fundus: Very large pouch - anterior Anastmosis.

Notes: This anastomosis is causing mechanical obstruction

Upper GI Impression: gastric bypass with no evidence of obstruction or dilation of the gastric segment. Mild fold thickening proximal small bowl beyond the anastomosis possibly related to some jejunitis

Small Bowl: there is gastrojejunostomy to the stomach, some mild diffuse fold thickening in the proximal jejunum. Note is made the one hour film shows some contract refluxing back into the duodenal loop and afferent limb.
    IMPRSSION: mild fold thickening proximal small bowel just beyond the gastric anastomsis.

These tests were preformed by a bariatric surgeon but because of insurance he cannot do the hernia repair he wants and these were sent to my PC and she was just a confused as me and referred me to a general surgeon who cannot get me in for a month.

Thank you for your input.
    Basically what it is saying is that you have a large hiatal hernia (deals connection to the stomach from the esophagus). This is basically where the opening of your stomach pushes in to the esophagus and it is deemed as large. I don't know what large is considered... probably in the neighborhood of 16mm +? Its a complete guess, but I know the esophagus is around 12mm.

Cardia is the upper part of the stomach... where you have the hiatal hernia.

Fundus is the upper part of your stomach. I am guessing that the upper part of your stomach is rather large.

anastomosis is the connection between two bodies... in this case your esophagus and your stomach. Not sure what they are specifically calling an obstruction.

hope this helps

Closed Thread

Tags
    egd, gastric bypass, hiatal hernia